RRSP/LIRA and US business

My_question_is: Applicable to both US and Canada
Subject:        RRSP/LIRA and US business interest
Expert:         taxman at centa.com
Date:           Monday October 23, 2006
Time:           11:14 PM -0400
I'm a Canadian citizen working in US on a TN visa. I have the
following questions and I hope you can direct me to the right
place for information. Any help is appreciated.
1.    I have capital loss when I filled out the T1243. Is it true
that I can carry the loss forward infinitely?
2.    I believed I sent all required forms to CRA when I left
Canada. I know I have to file the US form 8891 for RRSP. But I
thought this is a form for tax deferment, then how come I have to
report interest income and dividends in my RRSP account on form
1040 (as a beneficiary)? In addition, it seems like US recognizes
RRSP and RRIF, what about LIRA? Now, do I need to report my RRSP
and LIRA accounts on the US form TD90-22.11?
3.    A few of my friends (US citizens) and I we are thinking of
opening a rental property business in US. Is it better to form a
LLC or corporation (S or C) for this kind of business? Which
company structure offers a better tax scheme? I know that I can't
receive employment income from the company other than my
'sponsor', but can I receive business income? Moreover, given
that I'm only in US on TV visa, do I have the legal rights to own
part of a business? I tried to look up information on websites of
IRS/Homeland Security etc and I just couldn't find anything
useful on this matter. One of the partners is a H1B holder, is he
in a similar situation as mine?
Thanks a million for your help.
david ingram replies:
1.      Yes
2.    The 8891 is poorly designed.  You should not have to report
the interest / dividends, etc on schedule B if you are filling
out form 8891.
My solution is to put the profit on line 10.  In the explanation
area, I write "A combination of internal earnings, change in
value and the devaluation of the US dollar versus the Canadian
Dollar has resulted in a paper profit of"    $xxx.xx
Report the LIRA on form 8891 and TDF-90
3.    You and the H1B visa holder can own any number of US
businesses but you can NOT do any services for those businesses
other than writing cheques and hiring people.   Whatever you do,
do not personally fire anyone (that would be taking a job away
from an American).  If it is necessary to fire someone, hire your
US lawyer to perform the task.
I am not going to comment on the type of ownership you should
have. In my opinion a TN and H1B visa holder should not have a
subchapter S corp because everyone must be a resident of the US
to keep it alive and if either of you lost your job, the
Subchapter S would technically be non-existent at that point and
convert to a C corporation.
However, be advised that if you go into the rental business you
can NOT personally
paint the property
clean the property
repair the property
collect rent
or perform any other service dealing with the property without
risking deportation.
You CAN buy it and Hire local people to perform all these
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA)
time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as
this is a home office)
email to taxman at centa.com
www.centa.com www.david-ingram.com
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed
information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general
comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as
advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists
between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual
duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal
advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance,
preparation, or consultation  in connection with personal or
business affairs such as at www.centa.com. If you forward this
message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to
non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to
Saudi Arabia to Mexico to China or Chile - Cross border, dual
citizen - out of country investments are all handled with
competence & authority.
New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling,
Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples,
Fort Myers,
Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson,
Green Bay,
Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton,
Quebec, Moncton,
Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San
Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun
City, Tulsa,
Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello,
Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City,
Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince
George, Prince
Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague,
Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,
Berlin, Hamburg
Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai,
Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red
Deer, Olds,
Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie,
Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey,
Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney,
Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich,
Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries,
Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope,
Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis,
Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson,
Fort St
James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape
Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, Albany Zimbabwe
 David Ingram expert income tax help and preparation of US Canada
Mexico non-resident and cross border returns with rental dividend
wages self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants -
gurus - Paris Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo Zimbabwe
international non-resident cross border income tax help
assistance expert preparation & immigration consultant david
ingram, experts on rentals mutual funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) &
divorce preparer preparers consultants
This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from
www.centa.com or www.jurock.com or www.featureweb.com. David
Ingram deals on a daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems
for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United
Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan,
China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia,
Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland,
Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India,
Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands,
US, UK, GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
Rockwall, Dallas, San Antonio Houston
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and
Immigration Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica
Rwanda Guru  Consultant Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6
NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist expert preparer
expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning FINTRAC E677
E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions
Grand Cayman Aruba Zimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.centa.com/CEN-TAPEDE/centapede/attachments/20061023/1c327983/attachment.htm


Trackback URL for this entry: http://www.centa.com/trackback.php/UsCaWeekofMon20061023002922.html

No trackback comments for this entry.