Bahamas to USA - David Ingram

My_question_is: Applicable to both US and Canada
Subject:        Becoming a client for tax preparation
Expert:         taxman at
Date:           Monday November 13, 2006
Time:           08:35 PM -0500
I am a Canadian citizen.  I lived in the Bahamas for 10 years.
This October I moved to the US on an L1-B visa (company
relocation).  I am hoping you can prepare my tax return for
this year.   Are you taking new clients?  If so what should I do
to simplify and prepare for this coming tax return for the IRS.
david ingram replies:
You do not mention it but I remember the visit of you and your sister in
March 2004 when she returned from England and we looked after her returning
to Canada return.
I am adding you to the US Canadian List.  There is sure to be some stuff
that applies to you.  If it proves too much just email back to
taxman at with REMOVE in the subject line and I will remove you
within 36 hours.
When you are ready, just fax, courier or pdf email your W2 to me in
Vancouver. Glad to look after you.  It would be a pleasure. If you paid your
own moving expenses, make sure I have the cost of the mover and your
transportation.  That may be important if the company paid them because you
will likely find that it is / was added to your W2 and you will have to
deduct it.  Therefore, if you handed your receipts in to the company, make
sure you have copies.
This year you will be a dual status tax filer and must itemize deductions so
keep track of any charity or special state tax you may pay in getting
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -
(please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or
consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at <> . If you forward this message, this
disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident
Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Saudi Arabia to Mexico
to China or Chile - Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments
are all handled with competence & authority.


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.