Canadian in USA - Brad Howland,

Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2006 12:13 PM
To: taxman at
Subject: Canadian in USA
Have you any knowledge of a firm that deals with Canadians in
USA?  I have property in Canada etc etc.
david ingram replies:
I am not sure what you mean by this question. I thought that the
email / website made it clear that our business was US / Canadian
Income Tax preparation.
I have spent the last "gasp" 43 years doing that and at one time
had some 700 offices in 30 states and 4 provinces under my
However, I am also not the only one that does that.  I regularly
give out other names because someone does not want to or can not
deal with me.  For instance, on Tuesday, I had an appointment
with a lady wanting to discuss her taxes, immigration and
upcoming divorce with me.  I could not do it without her
husband's permission as I was already doing their US and Canadian
returns and at this point her husband is my client. She had known
this but came to me because her banker and a friend suggested it
and she did not tell them I was already filing the family
I was in the yellow pages for some 14 years as a divorce
specialist/counsellor in property settlements and am happy to
deal with both parties but they have to meet with me together and
agree I am to be the mediator/counsellor in the situation.
For the most part lawyers will no longer deal with both parties
because of law society rules which is truly too bad.
If you are looking for a US/Canada Tax consultant / preparer, I
would be glad to look after you.
If you need someone else for any reason, the following older
answers may help you.
You have been referred to me by a fellow Canadian living in
My family moved here in July 2004.
We have filed for income tax in 2004 with half/half between two
Presently filing for 2005.
We have RRSP in Canada, as well as some investments,
A small  business in  xxxxxxxxxxx (< 20,000 / year income) which
we will not likely continue to operate for long.
I am wondering what your firm offers in the way of assistance?
- complete income tax returns for States side
- offer advice on tax strategies for US side
- help develop long strategies.  (should RRSP be left in Canada
Any information that you can provide on this would be
david ingram replies:
I am happy to look after you.  That is what we do although I do
have to tell you that our expertise is Country to Country and not
necessarily state to state.
I just (for instance) found out that we do not have to file a
Pennsylvania return when someone works in Pennsylvania and lives
in Maryland.  43 years and I did not know that.
I did have offices in 30 states at one time but not Pennsylvania
and Maryland.
Your 2004 returns will have been the most difficult.
Your  Canadian return should have had a form T1161 and likely
T1243 and T1244 filed with it to look after departure tax.  I am
assuming there would be a departure tax because of the
investments and business property you have left in Canada.
Your US return should either have included your Canadian Income
or have been a "dual status" 1040 return plus have included a
1040NR Dual Status Statement.
Since you were in the US from July, the operation of the resort
property should have been included on your US return and any tax
paid to Canada claimed on form 1116.
Your 2005 returns should be a 1040 plus a  XXXXXXXXXX state
return with schedule C to report the resort and an 1116 to claim
credit for the Canadian taxes.
In my opinion, you should have the same person prepare the US and
Canadian returns.
The following older Q & A sort of states my position
 Hi – I came across your fine website. I’m looking for similar
services in Montreal, QC and wondered if you could recommend
someone out here.
 R -------
david ingram replies:
I have no recommendation for Montreal.  My old office in Ottawa
had a marvellous US/Canada Tax consultant, Gary Gauvin,  but he
has moved to Texas and I no longer have any ownership or anything
else to do with the Ottawa office which bears my name.  If you
type - income tax expert - into Google, Gary and I usually come
up in the top three or four. (
Steve Peters with KPMG in Halifax knows his stuff.  Brad Howland
in Victoria is good.  Steve Katz in Vancouver is really good with
pension matters.
In Toronto, Kevin Nightingale is one of the best that exists.
The National Post's Jonathon Chevreau regularly recognizes Kevin
and I in his columns.
The following from an older Q & A sort of states my position
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:02 AM
To: taxman at
Subject: accountant in Toronto
A friend of mine suggested that I contact you. I am an American
moved to Canada in 2005 and am looking for an accountant in
who can help me with my U.S. and Canadian individual tax returns,
who can provide me with advice about what to do with my 403(b)
retirement account. Thank you for your help.
david ingram replies:
I will start off by saying that you should mail or courier it to
us as half
of our clients do.
However, although I have never met him, Kevyn Nightingale and I
have been
quoted in many articles in the National Post.
Kevyn Nightingale,
Suite 302 - 5001 Yonge Street
North York, Ontario, M2N 6P6
Tel: 416-733-9595 / Fax: 416-733-4725
And it was a good question.  I just looked at his fee structure
and think I
will raise mine.
We will help prepare your federal and state income tax return or
returns.  We do no online filing but will file the returns so
that you can
check the status online. We will do the 1040 or 1040NR or 1040X
pr 1041
estate return, your Canadian T1 and in a pinch can help you look
after a
Mexican return as well with our Guadalajara consultant, David
Whether it is help with specific or general information, filing,
or just an
estimate of the tax you will owe in a specific situation, we can
it for you. We can be the estimator for the tax equalization if
you are
being transferred from state to state or country to country.
Our help is NOT free however.  Typically, we charge $400 Cdn per
hour for
calculating, preparing or consultation service or services. We
specialize in
old returns so if you have not filed because of a bankruptcy or
procrastination, we regularly do 10 years back for US / Canada
where the US citizen has failed to file while living in Canada.
We can look
after the TDF-90 and form 8891 RRSP reporting forms as well.
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
Home office at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week (please do not
fax or phone
outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed
information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.
Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the
author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance,
preparation, or
consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs
such as at <> . If you forward this
message, this
disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
Phone consultations are $400 for 15 minutes to 50 minutes
(professional hour).
This is not intended to be definitive but in general I am quoting
$800 to $2,000 for a dual country tax return.
$800 would be one T4 slip one W2 slip one or two interest slips
and you lived in one country only - no self employment or rentals
or capital gains - you did not move into or out of the country in
this year.
$1,000 would be the same with one rental
$1,200 would be the same with one business no rental
$1,200 would be the minimum with a move in or out of the country.
These are complicated because of the back and forth foreign tax
credits. - The IRS says a foreign tax credit takes 1 hour and 53
$1,500 would be the minimum with a rental or two in the country
you do not live in or a rental and a business and foreign tax
credits  no move in or out
$2,000 would be all of the above and you moved in and out of the
This is just a guideline for US / Canadian returns
We will still prepare Canadian only (lives in Canada, no US
connection period) with a three or four slips and no capital
gains, etc. for $125.00 up.
With a Rental for $300
A Business for $300 - Rental and business likely $400
And an American only (lives in the US with no Canadian income or
filing period) with about the same things in the same range with
a little bit more if there is a state return.
Moving in or out of the country or part year earnings in the US
will ALWAYS be $400 and up.
TDF 90-22.1 forms are $25 for the first and $10.00 each after
that when part of a tax return.
8891 forms are generally $50.00 to $100.00 each.
18 RRSPs would be $900.00 - (maybe amalgamate a couple)
Capital gains *sales)  are likely $50.00 for the first and $20.00
each after that.
Just a guideline not etched in stone.
This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from
<>  or
<>  or <> . David Ingram
deals on a
daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems
for the
United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United Kingdom,
Kuwait, Dubai,
Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador,
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel,
Iraq, Iran,
India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands,
GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio Houston
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and
Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica Rwanda Guru
Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real
Estate tax
specialist expert preparer expatriate anti money laundering money
FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border
Grand Cayman Aruba
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants -
gurus - Paris
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo
New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling,
Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples,
Fort Myers,
Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson,
Green Bay,
Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton,
Quebec, Moncton,
Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San
Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun
City, Tulsa,
Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello,
Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City,
Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince
George, Prince
Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague,
Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,
Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai,
Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red
Deer, Olds,
Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie,
Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey,
Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney,
Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich,
Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries,
Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope,
Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis,
Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson,
Fort St
James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape
Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, Albany STAR WARS
international non-resident cross border income tax help
assistance expert  preparation & immigration consultant david
ingram, experts on rentals mutual  funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) &
divorce preparer preparers consultants
David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to
non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to
Saudi Arabia to Mexico to China or Chile - Cross border, dual
citizen - out of country investments are all handled with
competence & authority.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.