Do Non-Resident Canadians have to

Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 6:57 AM
To: taxman at
Subject: income tax
You commented in a recent note that a US citizen must annually file US tax
I am a Canadian residing in the US.  For the first 3 years, I filed Canadian
and US tax forms, then we officially changed our residence status.  Should
we continue to file Canadian tax forms?
david ingram replies:
US citizens are the only ones required to file forever.
If they have left Canada lock, stock and barrel, Canadians only need to file
if they continue to have rental income or are coming to Canada to work  some
of the time.
Of course, if the CRA writes and asks for a return you also have to.
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -
(please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or
consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at <> . If you forward this message, this
disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident
Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Saudi Arabia to Mexico
to China or Chile - Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments
are all handled with competence & authority.


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.