CORRECTION - Unused non business foreign tax credit in Canada Line 431 and 433 - David Ingram gives expert income tax & immi

It's not often that my answer is just plain wrong.  However Andrew Nelson pointed out that I mixed my answer and even the document I sent gave the right answer.  The question was can foreign "NON"-business taxes be carried forward and I said "yes" and the answer is "NO".
The document itself says "For tax years ending before March 23, 2004, you can carry unclaimed foreign business income taxes back three years and forward seven years. For tax years ending after March 22, 2004, the carry forward period is 10 years."
Andrew's correction follows:  (Luckily, I did not bother Intuit and do NOT have to look at old returns to see if I missed it).
Have to correct you on this one, david. WRONG-O!
NON-business foreign tax CANNOT be carried forward or back in Canada.
Only foreign tax on BUSINESS income is eligible for carry forward/back.
This is pretty clear in the documanent you sent, as well as on Form
T-2209, and in IT-270.
Must have been late when you wrote this. Hope you're not bothering
Intuit about this, since they have it right.
-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of US / Canada Income Tax Help - CEN-TAPEDE
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 9:08 PM
To: CENTAPEDE; [email protected] Com
Subject: US USA / CANADA Income Tax Help - Unused non business foreign taxcredit in Canada Line 431 and 433 - David Ingram gives expertincome tax & immigration help to non-resident Americans &Canadians from New York to California to Mexico family, estate,income tr

Subject:        Unused non business foreign tax credit
Expert:         [email protected]
Date:           Tuesday January 16, 2007
Time:           04:39 PM -0500


Can you use unused non business foreign tax credit from previous years to reduce 2006 Canadian taxes.

Canadian Citizen working in the US H1B.

Thank You
david ingram replies:

The answer is yes.  Prior to 2004, the claim could be carried forward for 7 years. after 2004, the credit can be carried back 3 years and forward 10 years.

And I want to thank you for the question.I just checked and "as I use it" our tax software Intuit's "PROFILE" does NOT carry the excess forward and I might have a couple where I have missed the credit.  INTUIT's US Proseries which I also use, does carry the excess forward.

The following comes from the CRA website at:

Canada Revenue Agency Government of Canada
Skip to content area (Access key: x)
Skip to side menu (Access key: y)

Lines 431 and 433 - Federal foreign tax credit

This credit is for foreign income or profits taxes you paid on income you received from outside Canada and reported on your Canadian return. Tax treaties with other countries may affect whether you are eligible for this credit.

You may have deducted an amount on line 256 for income that is not taxable in Canada under a tax treaty. In that case, do not include that income, or any tax withheld from it, in your foreign tax credit calculation.

If you paid tax to more than one foreign country, and the total non-business income tax you paid to all foreign countries is more than $200, you have to do a separate calculation for each country for which you claim a foreign tax credit. In that case, enter the total of your allowable federal foreign tax credit on line 42 of Schedule 1 or line 45 for residents of Quebec.

You also have to do a separate calculation for business income taxes paid to each foreign country. In that case, use Form T2209, Federal Foreign Tax Credits, to calculate your credit for both non business income taxes and the business income taxes paid to each foreign country. For tax years ending before March 23, 2004, you can carry unclaimed foreign business income taxes back three years and forward seven years. For tax years ending after March 22, 2004, the carry forward period is 10 years.

In most cases, the foreign tax credit you can claim for each foreign country is whichever of the following two amounts is lower:

  • the foreign income tax you actually paid; or
  • the tax due in Canada on your net income from that country.

If you paid tax on income from foreign property (other than real property), your foreign tax credit for the income from that property cannot be more than 15% of your net income from that property. However, you may be able to deduct on line 232 the part of the foreign taxes you paid over 15%.

Beginning in 2004, your contribution to a foreign public pension plan is considered as a non-business income tax for foreign tax credit purposes where the following two conditions apply:

  • you are required to make the contribution under the legislation of the foreign country; and
  • it is reasonable to conclude that you will not be eligible for any financial benefit from your contribution considering that the employment in the foreign country was temporary and for a short period of time.

U.S. FICA payments qualify for this credit.

For details on how to calculate your claim, read Interpretation Bulletin IT-270, Foreign Tax Credit and ITNEWS-31R2 Income Tax - Technical News.

Supporting documents - If you are filing a paper return, include your documents, such as official receipts, that show the foreign taxes you paid, and a note showing your calculations. Also include Form T2209, if you use it. If you paid taxes to the United States (U.S.), attach your W-2 information slip, U.S. 1040 return, and any other supporting documents that apply. If you are filing electronically, keep all your documents in case we ask to see them.

Tax Tips

Your federal foreign tax credit on non-business income may be less than the tax you paid to a foreign country. If so, and you were not a resident of Quebec on December 31, 2006, you may be able to claim a provincial or territorial foreign tax credit. Get Form T2036, Provincial or Territorial Foreign Tax Credit, to help you calculate the credit.

If you were a resident of Quebec on December 31, 2006, see the guide for your provincial income tax return for Quebec.

Also, on line 232, you may be able to deduct the amount of net foreign taxes you paid for which you have not received a federal, provincial, or territorial foreign tax credit. This does not include certain taxes you paid, such as those on amounts you could have deducted under a tax treaty on line 256. For details, get Interpretation Bulletin IT506, Foreign Income Taxes as a Deduction From Income.

Completing your tax return

  • Do all of your calculations in Canadian dollars.
  • Complete Form T2209 if you decide, from the information above, it applies to you.
  • On line 42 or line 45 for residents of Quebec of Schedule 1, enter your federal foreign tax credit from line 10 of your Form T2209.


  • On line 431 of Schedule 1, enter your non-business income tax paid to a foreign country.
  • On line 431 of Schedule 1, enter the amount shown in the financial statements or in boxes 81 and 82 of your T5013 or T5013A slip if you were a member of a partnership and are entitled to claim a part of the foreign taxes the partnership paid.
  • On line 433 of Schedule , enter your net foreign non-business income.
  • On line 42 or line 45 for residents of Quebec of Schedule 1, enter the result of your calculation.

Be sure to complete the tax and credit form for your province or territory of residence as the provincial or territorial credit is calculated separately.

Forms and publications

Related topics

More Ways to Serve You!

Date modified:
Top of page
Top of page
Important notices
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325

Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico  family, estate, income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.
This from "ask an income trusts tax and immigration expert" from or or David Ingram deals on a daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas, San Antonio Houston
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica Rwanda Guru  Consultant Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist expert preparer expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions Grand Cayman Aruba Zimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US
international non-resident cross border income tax help estate family trust assistance expert preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, income trusts experts on rentals mutual funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce preparer preparers consultants 
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut, 
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland, 
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, 
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska, 
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, 
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, 
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories, 
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard 
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo Zimbabwe
 David Ingram expert income tax help and preparation of US Canada Mexico non-resident and cross border returns with rental dividend wages self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits family estate trust trusts
New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia,
Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers,
Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay,
Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton,
Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego,
Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa,
Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham,
Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence,
Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George, Prince
Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon,
Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin, Hamburg
Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing,
Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds,
Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Davidson,
Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Edinburgh,
Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney, Nanaimo,
Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich, Kyoto,
Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries, Squamish,
Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope, Penticton,
Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis, Centralia,
Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St
James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears,
Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, income trust


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.