Tax on Great Britain property - Article XIII UK/CANADA Income TAX Convention (Treaty) - international non-resident cross border

Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2007 11:49 AM
To: taxman at; centapede at
Subject: Tax on UK property
Dear Mr. Ingram;
                         Thanks for your helpful reply. I think
that I
will need to do some more throrough investigations before we
think about
selling the property in the UK. We were Canadian residents
(although we
retain UK citisenship) when we bought the place in the UK. We are
residing in Canada. We bought it so that we would have a place to
when we went over to visit my wife's mother, who is now deceased.
apartment was not used for rental at all, nor was it bought as an
investment - it was just convenient to have our own place over
there. It
would be nice to know what the tax situation would be when/if we
to sell the place. I will make some enquiries next time we are
over there.
      Thanks, again.
david ingram replies:
It should/might be UK tax free then.
However, it does not matter.  It "IS" definitely taxable on your
Canadian return.  Any tax paid to the UK would be a tax credit in
Canada so paying the tax to the UK first means that you do not
need to worry about them coming after you in the future and will
not cost much extra if anything.
I, personally, would not fight it.  I would pay the UK tax and
then claim the credit in Canada.
The situation is governed by Article XIII of the UK / Canada
Income Tax Convention (Treaty) which reads as follows (I have put
in the Country names in Brackets to apply to you as a resident of
No matter what else happens, the Treaty is supreme.  I have
included the whole article even though the small print stuff does
not apply to your situation.
For those reading this for the first time, the original question
was whether or not there is capital gains tax to pay on a
property owned in the UK for 15 years by a couple who are dual
citizens of the UK and Canada.
Article 13
Capital Gains
1. Gains derived by a resident of a Contracting State (Canada)
from the alienation of immovable property situated in the other
Contracting State (GB) may be taxed in that other State (GB).
2. Gains from the alienation of movable property forming part of
the business property of a permanent establishment which an
enterprise of a Contracting State has in the other Contracting
State or of movable property pertaining to a fixed base available
to a resident of a Contracting State in the other Contracting
State for the purpose of performing professional services,
including such gains from the alienation of such a permanent
establishment (alone or with the whole enterprise) or of such
fixed base, may be taxed in that other State.
3. Gains derived by a resident of a Contracting State from the
alienation of ships or aircraft operated in international traffic
or movable property pertaining to operation of such ships or
aircraft, shall be taxable only in that Contracting State.
4. Gains from the alienation of:
(a) any right, licence or privilege to explore for, drill for, or
take petroleum, natural gas or other related hydrocarbons
situated in a Contracting State, or
(b) any right to assets to be produced in a Contracting State by
the activities referred to in sub-paragraph (a) above or to
interest in or to the benefit of such assets situated in a
Contracting State,
may be taxed in that State.
5. Gains from the alienation of:
(a) shares, other than shares quoted on an approved stock
exchange, deriving their value or the greater part of their value
directly or indirectly from immovable property situated in a
Contracting State or from any right referred to in paragraph 4 of
this Article, or
(b) an interest in a partnership or trust the assets of which
consist principally of immovable property situated in a
Contracting State, of rights referred to in paragraph 4 of this
Article, or of shares referred to in sub-paragraph (a) above,
may be taxed in that State.
6. The provisions of paragraph 5 of this Article shall not apply:
(a) in the case of shares, where immediately before the
alienation of the shares, the alienator owned, or the alienator
and any persons related to or connected with him owned, less than
10 per cent of each class of the share capital of the company; or
(b) in the case of an interest in a partnership or trust, where
immediately before the alienation of the interest, the alienator
was entitled to, or the alienator and any persons related to or
connected with him were entitled to, an interest of less than 10
per cent of the income and capital of the partnership or trust.
7. For the purposes of paragraph 5 of this Article:
(a) the term "an approved stock exchange" means a stock exchange
prescribed for the purposes of the Canadian Income Tax Act or a
recognised stock exchange within the meaning of the United
Kingdom Corporation Tax Acts; and
(b) the term "immovable property" does not include any property
(other than rental property) in which the business of the
company, partnership or trust was carried on.
8. Gains from the alienation of any property, other than that
referred to in paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 of this Article shall
be taxable only in the Contracting of which the alienator is a
9. The provisions of paragraph 8 ^^ of this Article shall not
affect the right of a Contracting State (GB) to tax, according to
its domestic law, gains derived by an individual who is a
resident of the other Contracting State (CANADA) from the
alienation of any property, if the alienator:
(a) is a national of the first-mentioned Contracting State (GB -
you and your wife are) or was a resident of that State for 15
years or more prior to the alienation of the property; and
(b) was a resident of the first-mentioned Contracting State (GB -
you were not as I see it from your note) at any time during the
five years immediately preceding such alienation.
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA)
time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as
this is a home office)
email to taxman at
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed
information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general
comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as
advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists
between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual
duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal
advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance,
preparation, or consultation  in connection with personal or
business affairs such as at If you forward this
message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to
non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to
Mexico  family, estate, income trust trusts Cross border, dual
citizen - out of country investments are all handled with
competence & authority.
This from "ask an income trusts tax and immigration expert" from or or David
Ingram deals on a daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems
for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United
Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan,
China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia,
Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland,
Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India,
Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands,
US, UK, GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
Rockwall, Dallas, San Antonio Houston
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and
Immigration Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica
Rwanda Guru  Consultant Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6
NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist expert preparer
expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning FINTRAC E677
E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions
Grand Cayman Aruba Zimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US
 David Ingram expert income tax help and preparation of US Canada
Mexico non-resident and cross border returns with rental dividend
wages self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits family estate
trust trusts
New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling,
Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples,
Fort Myers,
Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson,
Green Bay,
Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton,
Quebec, Moncton,
Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San
Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun
City, Tulsa,
Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello,
Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City,
Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince
George, Prince
Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague,
Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,
Berlin, Hamburg
Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai,
Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red
Deer, Olds,
Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie,
Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey,
Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney,
Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich,
Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries,
Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope,
Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis,
Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson,
Fort St
James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape
Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, income trust
international non-resident cross border income tax help estate
family trust assistance expert preparation & immigration
consultant david ingram, income trusts experts on rentals mutual
funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce preparer preparers
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants -
gurus - Paris Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo Zimbabwe
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.