Abu Dhabi, Ajman, , Dubai, Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah, Sharjah, Umm al-Quwain (UAE United Arab Emirates) Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Qt

hi David
I am a dual Canadian/U.S. citizen, currently residing in Toronto.  I have
worked in the U.S. doing contract work. I am considering going to Doha in
the middle east to work for two years. I don't expect to make over $90,000
U.S. I am divorced and have 2 children living in Canada residing with their
My question is: With the children still in Canada, can I be considered a
non-resident? I realize all the other ties which I will have to break. Also,
how many times and for how long can I visit canada during this 2 years?
I appreciate your advice and thank you very much for your time and
david ingram replies:
You can be a non-resident but do yourself a favour.  Instead of coming back
to Canada to visit, go to Disneyland and fly the kids down to meet you there
or go to Niagara Falls, or take them to Plymouth, Mass. to see the Mayflower
II or fly them to Greece and show them the Parthenon.  Heck, you might even
fly their mother over as well for olde tymes sake.
Stay away from Canada for at least a full year, it is a given.  come back
every three or six months and you are asking to be looked at.
>From: US / Canada Income Tax Help - CEN-TAPEDE  <centapede at lists.centa.com>
>Reply-To: taxman at centa.com, centapede at lists.centa.com
>To: "CENTAPEDE" <centapede at lists.centa.com>,"Webmaster at Jurock. Com"
><webmaster at jurock.com>,"CENTAPEDE-US" <centapede-us at lists.centa.com>
>Subject: US USA / CANADA Income Tax Help - Abu Dhabi, Ajman, ,
>Dubai,Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah, Sharjah,Umm al-Quwain (UAE United Arab
>Emirates) Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Qtar,Oman - David Ingram gives expert
>income tax & immigration help tonon-resident Americans & Canadians
>Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:02:40 -0800
: Please see bottom of message if you wish to
>My_question_is: US-specific
>Subject:        us cit. work in UAE re. irs tax and time limits
>Expert:         taxman at centa.com
>Date:           Saturday January 27, 2007
>Time:           11:13 AM -0500
>I am a US citizen working in UAE (for a contractor)... I have been working
>there for 4 years with visits back home 3 to 4 times a year. Is there a
>limit of how many years I can work over there without having to come back
>US for a year or whatever to maintain citizenship and tax status
>david ingram replies:
>Once a US citizen, always a US citizen unless you attend at a US Consular
>office and formally revoke your US citizenship in front of a US Consular
>officer and fill out a 4 page form letting them know that you" think" you
>know what you are doing.
>But! A US citizen has to continue to file a US return and calculate tax on
>their worldwide income no matter where they live.
>If in Canada, Spain, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Japan, Indonesia,
>Bulgaria, Chile   or any other country with an Income Tax, there is not
>usually any tax because you can deduct $82,400 of earnings on form 2555 (if
>you are a bone fide resident of the other country for an entire calendar
>year or out of the US for 333 out of 365 days.  There is also a housing
>allowance deduction of about $36.00 a day ($13,000 a year) which means that
>for most Americans out of the country the first $95,000 is tax free to the
>US.  Any income over that is subject to tax but the American can claim a
>Foreign tax credit (form 1116) for tax paid to the other country and that
>usually wipes out any tax owing to the US.  Note that prior to 2005, at
>incomes of over about $150,000 US, there was an AMT owing to the US but it
>was not usually very much.
>However, If you are a resident of the UAE, Dubai, Qtar, Kuwait, Saudi,
>Caymans, Bahamas or any other tax free country, there is no foreign tax to
>claim so the US citizen starts being paying US tax for sure at around
>$100,000 US and lower if no Housing allowance involved.
>Canadians, Brits, Australians and citizens from most other countries can
>make themselves a non-resident of their home country and avoid having to
>their home country tax.  In fact, as a non-resident with no income from
>Canada, a Canadian (as one example) does not have to file a Canadian return
>once they have left Canada.
>I/we specialize in out of country tax returns for persons in your position
>and can process your US tax return for you by email (pdf only please),
>mail, courier or fax.
>Note that because you are living out of the USA, your actual 1040 is not
>until Friday June 15, 2007 for the 2006 year.  However, any tax you owe was
>due on April 15 to avoid late paying penalties and it is likely that you
>should have been making instalment payments to avoid interest charges all
>sample pricing follows:
>Phone consultations are $400 for 15 minutes to 50 minutes (professional
>hour). Please note that GST is added if product remains in Canada or a
>consultation is in Canada.
>This is not intended to be definitive but in general I am quoting $800 to
>$2,400 for a dual country tax return.
>$800 would be one T4 slip one W2 slip one or two interest slips and you
>lived in one country only - no self employment or rentals or capital gains
>you did not move into or out of the country in this year.
>$1,000 would be the same with one rental
>$1,200 would be the same with one business no rental
>$1,200 would be the minimum with a move in or out of the country. These are
>complicated because of the back and forth foreign tax credits. - The IRS
>says a foreign tax credit takes 1 hour and 53 minutes.
>$1,500 would be the minimum with a rental or two in the country you do not
>live in or a rental and a business and foreign tax credits  no move in or
>$2,400 would be all of the above and you moved in and out of the country.
>This is just a guideline for US / Canadian returns
>We will still prepare Canadian only (lives in Canada, no US connection
>period) with two or three slips and no capital gains, etc. for $150.00 up.
>With a Rental for $350
>A Business for $350 - Rental and business likely $450
>And an American only (lives in the US with no Canadian income or filing
>period) with about the same things in the same range with a little bit more
>if there is a state return.
>Moving in or out of the country or part year earnings in the US will ALWAYS
>be $800 and up.
>TDF 90-22.1 forms are $50 for the first and $25.00 each after that when
>of a tax return.
>8891 forms are generally $50.00 to $100.00 each.
>18 RRSPs would be $900.00 - (maybe amalgamate a couple)
>Capital gains *sales)  are likely $50.00 for the first and $20.00 each
>Just a guideline not etched in stone.
>David Ingram's US / Canada Services
>US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
>US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
>My Home office is at:
>4466 Prospect Road
>North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
>Cell (604) 657-8451 -
>(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
>Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -
>(please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home
>email to taxman at centa.com <mailto:taxman at centa.com>
>www.centa.com <http://www.centa.com/>  www.david-ingram.com
>Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information
>consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
>this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
>circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
>and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
>obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
>practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or
>consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at
>www.centa.com <http://www.centa.com> . If you forward this message, this
>disclaimer must be included."
>Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
>David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident
>Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico  family,
>income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments
>are all handled with competence & authority.
>international non-resident cross border income tax help estate family trust
>assistance expert preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, income
>trusts experts on rentals mutual funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce
>preparer preparers consultants
>This from "ask an income trusts tax and immigration expert" from
>www.centa.com <http://www.centa.com/>  or www.jurock.com
><http://www.jurock.com/>  or www.featureweb.com
>. David Ingram deals on a daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
>multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the
>United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United Kingdom, Kuwait,
>Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France,
>Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia,
>Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran,
>India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
>Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK,
>GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
>San Antonio Houston
>Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration
>Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica Rwanda Guru  Consultant
>Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax
>specialist expert preparer expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning
>FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border
>Grand Cayman Aruba Zimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US
>  David Ingram expert income tax help and preparation of US Canada Mexico
>non-resident and cross border returns with rental dividend wages
>self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits family estate trust trusts
>New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia,
>Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers,
>Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay,
>Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton,
>Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego,
>Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa,
>Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham,
>Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence,
>Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George,
>Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon,
>Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin,
>Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing,
>Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer,
>Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Davidson,
>Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Edinburgh,
>Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney, Nanaimo,
>Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich, Kyoto,
>Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries, Squamish,
>Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope, Penticton,
>Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis,
>Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St
>James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears,
>Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, income trust
>David Ingram specializes in giving expert income tax and immigration help
>American and Canadian citizens living out of their home countries from
>Zimbabwe to Saudi Arabia to Mexico to China or Chile - Cross border,
>Non-resident - dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled
>with competence and authority.
>Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
>California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
>Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
>Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
>Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
>Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
>Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
>Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
>Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
>New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
>North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
>Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
>South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
>Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
>West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
>British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
>Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
>New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
>Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
>Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
>Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
>and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
>Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
>wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus -
>Prague Moscow Berlin
>Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo Zimbabwe
>List-Unsubscribe: http://lists.centa.com/mailman/listinfo/centapede
>mailto:centapede-request at lists.centa.com?subject=unsubscribe

Buy, Load, Play. The new Sympatico / MSN Music Store works seamlessly with
Windows Media Player. Just Click PLAY.
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.410 / Virus Database: 268.17.12/655 - Release Date: 1/28/07


Trackback URL for this entry: http://www.centa.com/trackback.php/UsCaWeekofMon20070129003108.html

No trackback comments for this entry.