non-resident filing -Wolf Bergelt Dennis Lee -

My_question_is: Canadian-specific
Subject:        non-resident filing
Expert:         taxman at
Date:           Sunday January 21, 2007
Time:           10:49 PM -0500
Hi David,
I have been a TN visa holder since 2005. In 2005 I was taxed as a factual
resident of Canada since my spouse and children were left in Canada. In Sep.
2006 after my spouse and children moved to US, Revenue Canada determined we
both were non-residents “as of” the day they departed from Canada to US. I
did not have any other ties in Canada before my spouse and children left
I am wondering if I should treat myself as a full year non-resident for 2006
Canadian tax return or still a factual resident from Jan. 1 till the day my
spouse and children moved to US. As CRA’s resident determination used the
word “as of Sep. xx”, my first instinct is that I have to file a part year
2006 Canadian return as a factual resident. Thus, I will be taxed on my US
incomes as exact what I was taxed in 2005. However, after reading one of
your response to a person with the similar situation (see below), I got
confused. Should I think of myself a non-resident for full 2006? If it is, I
have actually no need to fill Canadian return because I had no Canadian
incomes in whole year. If so, will my spouse also be treated this way and
file a non-resident tax return for the days living in Canada in 2006?
david ingram replies:
You fall into the Wolf Bergelt Tax case and I believe you were a
non-resident from the day you left.  If the intention is to leave and your
spouse and children follow later, you may be a factual resident but as such,
you get to deduct the US earnings on line 256 under Article IV of the US
Canada Tax Convention (TREATY).
You can find the Wolf Bergelt case in the middle of about 25 pages in the
"US/Canada Taxation" section in the second box don on the right hand side at
To really make it work, you must have equal or more "family" things in the
US.  therefore, you get the spouse and kids (half the time now it is the
wife with the TN or H1B or H1A or L1) down to visit you every month instead
of you coming back to Canada every week.
They get their US video store rental cards, you give up your Canadian
Medical, get a US driver's licence and get your car registered in the US
You get US credit cards immediately and give up your Canadian cards.  (while
reading the Wolf Bergelt case, make sure you read the Dennis Lee case as
well and study Article IV of the US Canada Tax Treaty which is at two or
three pages in to the start of the section)
i.e., the family has to have a nexus in the US as big as Canada to escape
the CRA Taxman..
This is your email answer I was talking about.
QUESTION: Hi, I have a question regarding my resident status for tax
purpose. I moved to the US to start a job in October 20 2005 on a TN-1
I have filed the form NR73 and Revenue Canada have replied that I am a
non-residence as of Oct 20 2005 because I have nothing left in Canada
basically. However when I try to fill in the T1, they have a few option
regarding my residence status in box 117. Am I a non-residence or a deemed
resident of Canada because I stayed for 183 days or more in 2005? I called
CRA and they give me different answers. Really appreciate your help.
david ingram replies:
You are a non-resident as described.
Could you please clear my confusion? Thanks a lot.
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -
(please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or
consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at <> . If you forward this message, this
disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident
Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico  family, estate,
income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments
are all handled with competence & authority.
This from "ask an income trusts tax and immigration expert" from <>  or
<>  or <>
. David Ingram deals on a daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the
United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai,
Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia,
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran,
India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK,
GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio Houston
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration
Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica Rwanda Guru  Consultant
Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax
specialist expert preparer expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning
FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions
Grand Cayman Aruba Zimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US
 David Ingram expert income tax help and preparation of US Canada Mexico
non-resident and cross border returns with rental dividend wages
self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits family estate trust trusts
New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia,
Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers,
Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay,
Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton,
Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego,
Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa,
Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham,
Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence,
Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George, Prince
Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon,
Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin,
Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing,
Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds,
Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Davidson,
Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Edinburgh,
Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney, Nanaimo,
Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich, Kyoto,
Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries, Squamish,
Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope, Penticton,
Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis, Centralia,
Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St
James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears,
Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, income trust
international non-resident cross border income tax help estate family trust
assistance expert preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, income
trusts experts on rentals mutual funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce
preparer preparers consultants
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo Zimbabwe


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.