I am a canadian citizen living in US on H1. My son is US citizen. Tax Treaty - international non-resident cross border income ta

Subject:        I am a canadian citizen living in US on H1.  My son is US
Expert:         taxman at centa.com
Date:           Friday February 16, 2007
Time:           12:15 PM -0500
I am a canadian citizen living in US on H1 and my husband is a green card
holder in US( soon a citizen of US).  My son was born in US 7 months ago.  I
would like to know how i can get a canadian citizenship for my son?  Also i
haven't done my tax in canada last two years since i live in US. Will this
be a problem?
david ingram replies:
You can find the details of registering your son's birth out of Canada at
If you have no Canadian real estate or other Canadian Income, you do not
need to do a Canadian tax return.
If you have interest or dividend income, you have to make sure that your
financial institution KNOWS that you are a NON-RESIDENT of Canada and
deducts 10% of any interest paid and 15% of any dividends paid to you under
Articles XI and X of the US / Canada Income Tax Convention (Treaty)
This applies to your husband as well.
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -
(please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at centa.com <mailto:taxman at centa.com>
www.centa.com <http://www.centa.com/>  www.david-ingram.com
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or
consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at
www.centa.com <http://www.centa.com> . If you forward this message, this
disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
international non-resident cross border income tax help estate family trust
assistance expert preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, income
trusts experts on rentals mutual funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce
preparer preparers consultants


Trackback URL for this entry: http://www.centa.com/trackback.php/UsCaWeekofMon20070212003150.html

No trackback comments for this entry.