PART II- TD working in Canada from US - international non-resident cross border income tax help estate family trust assistance e

Sent: Saturday, February 17, 2007 1:38 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: US USA / CANADA Income Tax Help - TD working in Canada from US - international non-resident cross border income tax help estate family trust assistance expert preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, income trusts experts on rentals mut

Just wondering - if she is not legally allowed to work in US, if she files a joint return and report income on schedule C, would that be a problem for her?

david ingram replies:
This reply is NOT meant to encourage people to work illiegally in the US.
On Sept 30, 1996, President Clinton signed a bill which purportedly encouraged the (then INS) Homeland Securtiy  and IRS to compare infromation to find illegal workers, to my knowledge, nothing ever happened with it.
I can tell you that in 44 years of preparing US income tax returns AND 23 years of anwering questions over what became the INTERNET, I have never, not once heard of or talked to someone who was deported from the US because of reporting earnings on a tax return.
Might have happened but not in my parvenue.
Anyone else have specific knowledge?
And remember, in this case, it does NOT matter because she in NOT taking a job away from a US worker.

QUESTION: I am a Canadian Citizen (born in Canada) - last year, my husband
took a job in the US on a TN visa (therefore, I received a TD).  Because I
could not work in the US under a TD Visa, I continued to do consulting work
in Canada using our address in Canada.  I physically was in the US for the
almost the entire calendar year in 2006.  What are my tax implications of
doing so? Do I pay taxes in Canada (FYI, I did have a GST number and paid
GST), or should I be paying taxes in the US as I was not in Canada.

david ingram replies:

Assuming that you did the work from the US, you have no tax liability in

You should file your joint US return with your husband and include a
schedule C showing your income earned in the US.

On the other hand if you were up in Canada every two weeks for a day and
worked out of a house you still own in Canada, you would owe tax on some of
it to Canada first and the rest to the US first.

If the home in Canada was rented out to strangers and it was just a mailing
address, then you still just pay income tax to the US on the self
employment. (You do have to file a section 216(4) return to report the
rental income).

On the other hand, your GST return is different.  If you were registered to
supply services in Canada and collected GST from your Canadian clients, that
was proper and you would file the GST and pay the collected GST to the CRA.
Because your expenses were all in the USA, you will have very little (if
any) input credits.

We, of course would be happy to look after these returns for you.

David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325

Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -
(please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)

email to [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> <>

Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or
consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at <> . If you forward this message, this
disclaimer must be included."

Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"

international non-resident cross border income tax help estate family trust
assistance expert preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, income
trusts experts on rentals mutual funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce
preparer preparers consultants

This from "ask an income trusts tax and immigration expert" from <>  or
<>  or <>
. David Ingram deals on a daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the
United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai,
Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia,
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran,
India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK,
GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio Houston
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration
Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica Rwanda Guru  Consultant
Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax
specialist expert preparer expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning
FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions
Grand Cayman Aruba Zimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US

David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident
Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico  family, estate,
income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments
are all handled with competence & authority.

New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia,
Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers,
Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay,
Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton,
Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego,
Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa,
Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham,
Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence,
Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George, Prince
Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon,
Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin,
Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing,
Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds,
Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Davidson,
Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Edinburgh,
Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney, Nanaimo,
Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich, Kyoto,
Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries, Squamish,
Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope, Penticton,
Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis, Centralia,
Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St
James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears,
Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, income trust
David Ingram expert income tax help and preparation of US Canada Mexico
non-resident and cross border returns with rental dividend wages
self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits family estate trust trusts
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo Zimbabwe

List-Unsubscribe: mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.