Moving overseas international non-resident cross border income tax help estate family trust assistance expert preparation &

My_question_is: Applicable to Another Jurisdiction or Multi-jurisdictions
Subject:        Moving overseas
Expert:         taxman at
Date:           Tuesday February 20, 2007
Time:           01:27 PM -0500
We currently have our primary residence in Ontario, have a rental property
in California and likely to move to Australia within 6 months. We moved back
to Canada not too long ago after many years away.
What would you advice we do to minimise taxes all round ? E.g. (1) Would it
be a good idea to rent our house in Canada instead of selling it ? We have
not decided where or when we'll be retiring.(2) Keep or sell the rental
property in California ?
Would appreciate any advice you may have for us. Thanks in anticipation.
david ingram replies:
I just hung up from talking to a lady client who had moved back into their
Vancouver Condo after stints in two other cities.  When she left she really
wanted to sell the condo and I talked her out of it.
She was quite happy to move back in with its value doubled. If she had sold
Vancouver and bought in the other places, she could not have afforded the
buy back in Vancouver.
Tax should be the least of your worries.  You should be keeping both of your
houses unless you absolutely need the money for your Australian venture.  If
the intent is to stay in Australia, then you should be buying there sooner
rather than later.
I would suggest that over time, the Ontario property will not do as well as
the California property but it really depends upon "where" in Ontario and
"where" in California.
As an example A Harbour Castle Condo On the water at the foot of Yonge
Street) in Toronto will almost certainly do better than a Riverside condo in
If you can keep them both, keep them both.  In the long run they will
appreciate and if you do decide to return to either place, there is a home
waiting for you at today's cost.
You will keep on filing 1040NR and 540NR returns for California and a
Section 216(4) rental return for Canada.
Minimizing taxes is not the aim - preservation of capital and future worth
is / should be the goal.
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -
(please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or
consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at <> . If you forward this message, this
disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
 David Ingram expert income tax help and preparation of US Canada Mexico
non-resident and cross border returns with rental dividend wages
self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits family estate trust trusts
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo Zimbabwe
international non-resident cross border income tax help estate family trust
assistance expert preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, income
trusts experts on rentals mutual funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce
preparer preparers consultants
This from "ask an income trusts tax and immigration expert" from <>  or
<>  or <>
. David Ingram deals on a daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the
United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai,
Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia,
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran,
India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK,
GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio Houston
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration
Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica Rwanda Guru  Consultant
Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax
specialist expert preparer expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning
FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions
Grand Cayman Aruba Zimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.