Mexican Earnings - Taxable or not?? David Holroyd replies for

Hi David. I am a Canadian living in Mexico with a Mexican Visa. I have no income from Canada. I have invested in a Mexican Co. via a Mexican broker that trades on the Mexican Stock Market.
How should I treat the  profit from this investment. Thank you and I appreciate all the work you put  into this forum.


david ingram replies:


I passed this question to my associate David Holroyd (a US – Canada - Mexico consultant) who still spends half the year in Mexico and lived in Guadaljara for 10 years or so.


David Holroyd replies:


Since he is a Mexican resident and the money comes from Mexican sources

the SHCP has the right to tax this income.


There are specific headings on the Mexican forms for interest and dividends. The problem comes with

capital gains, for which there does not appear to be a separate heading.



The taxpayer could lump them in with dividends. If the questioner does

not already have a number for the Registro Federal de Contribuyentes he

has to go to his nearest Hacienda (SHCP) office and apply for one.


He will receive a CURP number at the same time. The number from the RFC and

CURP will both be shown on the tax form. Unfortunately he will then have

to file regular reports every 2 or 3 months to report his investment income.


David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325

Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to
[email protected]
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or consultation

David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Saudi Arabia to Mexico to China or Chile - Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.