Canadian/US Income Tax -

Hi David:
I commend you on your service in educating us on Canadian/US issues.
My situation is: I am Canadian. In 2002 I went to college in California on a F1 student visa to study nursing. I got licenced as an LPN and worked for over a year at a hospital while the lawyer I hired did the paperwork for me to obtain an employment visa there. In late 2005, as a result of a clerical error on the part of the hospital HR nurse (& my lawyer), my papers were denied & I was asked to leave the country. Before I left, my lawyer filed motions to try to get the denial overturned and he was eventually successful but not until 2006. By that time the job was no longr available at my sponsoring hospital.  While back in Canada I filed a 2005 US Tax return for my US income earned in 2005 and filed a Cdn tax return saying I had no Canadian income (I claimed some Canadian Income on the US Return). I worked in Canada throughout 2006 and am about to file a Canadian Tax Return. I currently still have a pending US employment visa but since the job is not available, I have not pursued the green card application. My first question is:  If I can not get back to the US, do I have to redeem the IRAs I purchased in 2005 and close my bank account there?  Secondly, can you point out any obvious problems that might come to your mind that may arise with the US Tax Office in my situation. Ditto with the Canadian Tax Office where I am about to file a 2006 tax return.
Thank you for your assistance.
david ingram replies:
You do not have to cash in your IRA accounts although some holders are uncomfortable holding onto small IRA accounts for non-residents and the company may want you to move your account.
You do not have to close your US bank account either although you may not have any good reason for keeping it if you do not intend to return.
If you are questioned by the financial institutions, telling them that you intend to return as soon as possible will likely mean they will keep the accounts open in the interim.
No  problems that I can see although if you had some earnings in Canada after your return in 2005, you should have filed 2005 in Canada.
 David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 - 
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or consutation 
David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Saudi Arabia to Mexico to China or Chile - Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.