TN house renting in USA -

> I a Canadian working on a TN visa in the US. Canadian tax ties severed for
> years. I bought a new house and want to rent my old house out (both in the
> USA). Can I do this? Thanks for the help.
> ____________________________________________________________________________
 david ingram replies:
You can certainly rent out the old house but better watch out when it comes
 to repairs, etc.
Technically, you can NOT clean, decorate, repair, paint or even collect the
 rent legally.
You should hire a property manager to do all of that for you.
Now, do I know of a single case where a TN has been deported for renting out
 a US house and doing repairs??  The answer is NO!.  But then, I have likely
 done 2,000 returns for TN visa holders since 1989 when the FTRA was signed.
 I do not remember a single case where a TN was renting a US house out.  Very
 unusual circumstance.
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to
[email protected]
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or consultation

David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Saudi Arabia to Mexico to China or Chile - Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.



Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.