Part II - non-resident taxes for Canadian in South Korea -

David Ingram wrote: 
  david ingram says:
  In re-reading my reply here, I realized that I left out tax on any dividends or interest received.  Under Article X of the Canada / Korea Tax Treaty, Canada receives 15% tax on any interest paid out by Canaccord Capital to his account.  My reply was based upon his ownership of mining stocks which on the Vancouver Stock Exchange rarely pay out dividends or interest.  There is no tax on the sale of publicly traded shares unless the seller owns 50% of the company.
  This applies to just about any other country with a tax treaty.  If there is no tax treaty, the withholding rate would be 25% on interest and dividends.
  The original question and answer follows: 
  Hello, I'm a registered non-resident Canadian living and  
  working in South Korea. I've been a non-resident for  
  about 8 years now and about 3 years ago I opened up an  
  account at Canaccord Capital, Vancouver so I could build  
  up a portfolio of mining stocks. Hypothetically, if I was to 
  make a million dollars and cash out, my Canadian 
   stockbroker said he could send the million dollars (minus 
   his commissions of course) to me in Korea without taking 
   any tax off. My broker said he could send the full amount 
   but he couldn't answer any questions related to my tax 
   liability in Canada. So my question is, 'do I have to pay 
   taxes on profits made on Canadian stock exchanges as a 
   Canadian non-resident living in South Korea. If I have to 
   pay substantial taxes, is there anything I can legally do to 
   reduce these taxes? Thank you.
   david ingram replies
  Non-residents of Canada do NOT pay tax on profits in the trading of Publicly
   Traded shares on Canadian Stock Exchanges.
  Non-residents of the US do NOT pay tax on profits in the trading of publicly traded shares on US stock exchanges UNLESS they are US citizens..
  However, if you were to be participating in seed shares of a private corporation, the profits would be taxable.
  David Ingram's US / Canada Services
  US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
  US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
  My Home office is at:
  4466 Prospect Road
  North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
  Cell (604) 657-8451 - 
  (604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
  Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
  email to taxman at
  Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or consultation
  David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Saudi Arabia to Mexico to China or Chile - Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.8/718 - Release Date: 11/03/2007 9:27 AM
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.