Immigration to Canada by Korean with H1B in the US -

Subject:        Immigration to Canada.
Expert:         [email protected]
Date:           Monday March 12, 2007
Time:           04:15 PM -0500



I want to know how to become Canadian residency.  I'm South Korean who has been in US with H1B-visa since Jan, 2003. My company(University of xxxxxxxxxx) wouldn't go farther than H1. Have 2 bachelor degrees.
One from University of xxxxxxxxx.(Math).
Another form Seoul National University (Food Science and Technology), Also, My mom is US green card holder. She filed I-130 about 3 years ago.

I got a referral from Boonie-Lynn xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 

Best Regards,

david ingram replies:

It is 1 AM and your question did NOT make the cut for free answers until I saw Bonnie-Lynn XXXXX's name.  Although she has not been a client for years after moving to the US, out of the 10,000 or so people whom I have personally dealt with over the past 44 years, she stands out as an example of someone who can go back to University and achieve a major position while continuing in her full time job.  She is a very special lady.

Either of your degrees would qualify you to work in Canada but you would have to find a job first and your entry to Canada would be under the equivalent of the H visa you have for the US.

It would likely take four to six months for approval.

Another strong possibility is to apply on your own for the equivalent of a Canadian green card.  We call it a PR or Permanent Resident card. (The official term for a US green card is a Resident Alien Card).

However, watch out.  If your mother has a valid sponsorship going for you for the US, you do not want to jeopardize that application.  On the other hand if you know it is going to take seven or eight more years, you could come to Canada, get Canadian citizenship first and then go back to the US as a green card holder and have the best of all worlds (if you disregard the south of France that is).

You have to pay attention the self-assessing test to sponsor yourself.  Your fee for this answer is to take Bonnie-Lynn a bouquet of Flowers.

The following older Q&A will give you some more information and where to go for more.  'You' do NOT qualify for a TN visa because you are not a US citizen.


My question is: Canadian-specific

QUESTION: I would like to buy a home in Canada and would be interested in
getting a  dual US/CDN citizenship. How difficult is it to get dual US/CDN

david ingram replies:

It is 10 x's as easy and much quicker for an American to get Canadian
Citizenship then it is for a Canadian to get American Citizenship.

An excellent source of information can be found on the CIC website at:

Individual items can be found at

read those and see what you think and whether you would qualify to come as a
skilled worker.  To do that you would need to score 67 points on the
self-assessing test at:

I get the idea you may be an architect.  If so, you can immigrate to Canada
on a Treaty NAFTA working visa in one day if you have a legitimate job offer
in your profession.  After a couple of years on this temporary visa, it
would be very easy for you to achieve permanent residence and then
citizenship status.

Let me know if I or my associates can help you in a professional manner?
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air
every Sunday morning.

Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, I, david ingram am a regular
guest on Fred Snyder of Dundee Wealth Managers' LIVE talk show called "ITS

Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet
at <>

Call (604) 280-0600 to have your question answered.  BC listeners can also
call 1-866-778-0600.

Callers to the show and questioners on this board can also attend the
Thursday Night seminars on finance and making your Canadian Mortgage
Interest deductible.

And for those in the Vancouver area, Fred is running an infomercial for 1/2
hour every night in October on Channel 10 television at "groooaaannnn" 1 AM
in the morning. It has a couple of useful concepts in it that can be
recorded to really get the idea.

David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
Home office at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325

Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week (please do not fax or phone
outside of those hours as this is a home office)

email to [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> <

Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist in connection with personal or business
affairs such as at <> . If you forward
this message, this disclaimer must be included."

Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"

This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from
<>  or <>  or <> . David Ingram deals on a
daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the
United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait,
Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia,
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran,
India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK,
GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio and Houston Texas
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration
Tips, Income Tax and Immigration Wizard Income Tax and Immigration Guru
Income Tax and Immigration Consultant Income Tax  and Immigration Specialist
Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist
expert preparer consultant expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning
FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions

Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo
New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia,
Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers,
Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay,
Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton,
Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego,
Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa,
Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham,
Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence,
Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George, Prince
Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon,
Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin,
Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing,
Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds,
Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Davidson,
Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Edinburgh,
Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney, Nanaimo,
Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich, Kyoto,
Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries, Squamish,
Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope, Penticton,
Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis, Centralia,
Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St
James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears,
Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, Albany STAR WARS

David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Saudi Arabia to Mexico to China or Chile - Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.