US / Canada Income Tax Returns what forms needed -

Hi David,

I was reading your e-mails and saw this one. Could you tell me which forms that we could fill out to possibly some some money and time? We have a small business in Canada ,husband is a dual US/Can. citizen, I am canadian. We live together in the US where Rodger works full time and I do not work. We have Canadian and US investment income. Would forwarding last year's tax returns help? How do we go about applying for a US extension as we will not get everything to you in time?


ingram replies:

The CRA asks for the information you will find on Form T2124 for the business - print out

and try and fit as many numbers as you have into the lines on that form.  The closer you come to those categories, the better.  The less  numbers I have to sort or add together, the  smaller the preparation charge.

You will note that this form also  has specific breakout spots for a claim for an office in the home and motor vehicle expenses.

These same numbers will them be converted and go onto US form Schedule C.

For the US, I need the year end figures for Dec 31 2005 and Dec 31 2006 for any Canadian RRSP accounts you have. These go on Form 8891 which you will find at

Assuming the total of all your financial accounts in Canada is over $10,000 US, you also need to fill in forms T D F 90-22.1

which you can see at

If your accounts total over $10,000, I need the

Name of the Financial Institution,

Holder of the account - You , Rodger or joint

Account number

Highest balance in 2006 (not necessarily or likely to be  December 31st)

For the rest I need any:

*    bank information slips from Canada. T3, T5, NR4, 5013 slips.
*    bank information slips from the US. 1099 Misc, 1099-Div, K-1, 1042S
*    Rodger's W2 slip or 1099-Misc

anything else that you think might be relevant.

A copy of the 2005 US and the 2005 Canadian and 2005 State return if in a tax filing state.

For an Extension 'You' or us will need to file the simple US form 4868 which you will find at:

From: US / Canada Income Tax Help - CEN-TAPEDE <[email protected]>
Reply-To: [email protected], [email protected]
To: CENTAPEDE <[email protected]>, jurock <[email protected]>
Subject: US USA / CANADA Income Tax Help - Here is a price list - sort of - Quote during the busy season- David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico family, estate, income trust trusts Cross border, dual c
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 19:46:31 -0700
>[email protected]: Please see bottom of message if you wish to unsubscribe.

Hi David First question is whether you will be taking additional clients during this hectic season. I am interested in your services and would love to get a quote for your services The situation: I am a unmarried US-Canada dual citizen living in Canada (Vancouver) with my parents (no rent). I graduated from university last spring and I now run a Sole proprietorship in Computer Consulting full time from home.
I have both a GST and PST number though none of my clients have been from Canada. My main client is from the United States and are paying me as a consultant. I have also helped several individuals from around the world (none in Canada) with smaller jobs.
If you require more information to make your assessment please let me know. Please let me know if you can take this task and send me a quote for tax preparation.
Please also let me know which documents are required. Thanks! Even if you are unable to help me this year I would still love to receive a quote if it is for the following year.

david ingram replies:

You were rejected by the system as just one of too many emails today.

However, baring a major catastrophe with our staff and associates, I see no reason that we could not look after you this year. 

As a US citizen, you have to file a US return whether you work in the US or not.  All we have to sell is our a time.  The better prepared you are, the less the charge for preparation.  It would help if you had the totals asked for on Form T2032 (available at CRA website).  The Instructions for the form and self-employment in general are at:  I have asked for this form because you are based in Canada. 
If you were based in the USA, I would suggest that you have the figures asked for on Schedule C - Read the instructions at
In either case, we have to convert the currencies and fill in both forms to do the dual country returns.

With the US return and self-employments involved, you would be looking at $800 to $1,600 I expect.  a  Price list suggestion is included in the following.

david ingram wrote:
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325

Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico  family, estate, income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.
Phone consultations are $400 for 15 minutes to 50 minutes (professional hour). Please note that GST is added if product remains in Canada or a phone consultation is in Canada.
This is not intended to be definitive but in general I am quoting $800 to $2,800 for a dual country tax return.
$800 would be one T4 slip one W2 slip one or two interest slips and you lived in one country only - no self employment or rentals or capital gains - you did not move into or out of the country in this year.
$1,000 would be the same with one rental
$1,200 would be the same with one business no rental
$1,200 would be the minimum with a move in or out of the country. These are complicated because of the back and forth foreign tax credits. - The IRS says a foreign tax credit takes 1 hour and 53 minutes.
$1,500 would be the minimum with a rental or two in the country you do not live in or a rental and a business and foreign tax credits  no move in or out

$1,600 would be for two people with income from two countries

$2,800 would be all of the above and you moved in and out of the country.
This is just a guideline for US / Canadian returns
We will still prepare Canadian only (lives in Canada, no US connection period) with two or three slips and no capital gains, etc. for $150.00 up.
With a Rental for $350
A Business for $350 - Rental and business likely $450
And an American only (lives in the US with no Canadian income or filing period) with about the same things in the same range with a little bit more if there is a state return.
Moving in or out of the country or part year earnings in the US will ALWAYS be $800 and up.
TDF 90-22.1 forms are $50 for the first and $25.00 each after that when part of a tax return.
8891 forms are generally $50.00 to $100.00 each.
18 RRSPs would be $900.00 - (maybe amalgamate a couple)
Capital gains *sales)  are likely $50.00 for the first and $20.00 each after that.
Just a guideline not etched in stone. 
This from "ask an income trusts tax and immigration expert" from or or David Ingram deals on a daily basis with expatriate tax returns with multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas, San Antonio Houston, Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica Rwanda Guru  Consultant Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist expert preparer expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions Grand Cayman Aruba Zimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US Income Tax Convention

David Ingram expert income tax help and preparation of US Canada Mexico non-resident and cross border returns with rental dividend wages self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits family estate trust trusts income tax convention treaty

New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay, Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton, Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa, Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham, Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence, Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George, Prince Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon, Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin, Hamburg,  Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Davidson, Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Edinburgh, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney, Nanaimo, Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich, Kyoto, Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries, Squamish, Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope, Penticton, Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis, Centralia, Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears, Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, income trust, Income Tax Treaty Convention
international non-resident cross border income tax help estate family trust assistance expert preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, income trusts experts on rentals mutual funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce preparer preparers consultants Income Tax Convention Treaty
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, California,  Colorado, Connecticut,  Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida, Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,  Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky, Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,  Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon, Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland, Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris Prague Moscow Berlin Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo Zimbabwe Income Tax Treaty Convention

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.18/733 - Release Date: 25/03/2007 11:07 AM

>List-Unsubscribe: mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe

Mortgage rates near historic lows. Refinance $200,000 loan for as low as $771/month*

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 269.0.0/750 - Release Date: 06/04/2007 9:30 PM

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 269.0.0/750 - Release Date: 06/04/2007 9:30 PM


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.