A good accountant needed - Steve Peters, Kevyn Nightingale, Gary Gauvin, Brad Howland, Steve Katz -

Dear David,
Ok, I think you've convinced me I should keep the townhouse and remortgage.  So I was wondering if you know a good accountant that could give me some direction on how to use this asset to best advantage considering my overseas situation.  I think I might need someone with more specialist training like yourself.
If you have any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Say hi to Gillian for me.
Warm regards,

david ingram replies:

Good move!  Keep the apartment for your future benefit. THAT WAY, IF YOU EVER RETURN TO CANANDA, YOU HAVE A PLACE TO MOVE INTO AT TODAY'S PRICE. 

With regard to an accountant, I thought that was what we did.

However, others in the international system that I know  and recommend are mentioned in the following older Q & A from last September. They are all US / Canda however, and I can't say that I know anyone else who deals with Canada - Australia situations.

Older Q & A's follow
You have been referred to me by a fellow Canadian living in Georgia
My family moved here in July 2004.
We have filed for income tax in 2004 with half/half between two countries
Presently filing for 2005.
We have RRSP in Canada, as well as some investments,
A small  business in  xxxxxxxxxxx (< 20,000 / year income) which we will not likely continue to operate for long.

I am wondering what your firm offers in the way of assistance?
- complete income tax returns for States side
- offer advice on tax strategies for US side
- help develop long strategies.  (should RRSP be left in Canada etc)

Any information that you can provide on this would be appreciated.

david ingram replies:
I am happy to look after you.  That is what we do although I do have to tell you that our expertise is Country to Country and not necessarily state to state.
I just (for instance) found out that we do not have to file a Pennsylvania return when someone works in Pennsylvania and lives in Maryland.  43 years and I did not know that.
I did have offices in 30 states at one time but not Pennsylvania and Maryland.
Your 2004 returns will have been the most difficult.
You r  Canadian return should have had a form T1161 and likely T1243 and T1244 filed with it to look after departure tax.  I am assuming there would be a departure tax because of the investments and business property you have left in Canada.
Your US return should either have included your Canadian Income or have been a "dual status" 1040 return plus have included a 1040NR Dual Status Statement.
Since you were in the US from July, the operation of the resort property should have been included on your US return and any tax paid to Canada claimed on form 1116.
Your 2005 returns should be a 1040 plus a  XXXXXXXXXX state return with schedule C to report the resort and an 1116 to claim credit for the Canadian taxes.
In my opinion, you should have the same person prepare the US and Canadian returns.
The following older Q & A sort of states my position

 Hi – I came across your fine website. I’m looking for similar services in Montreal, QC and wondered if you could recommend someone out here.


 R -------


david ingram replies:

I have no recommendation for Montreal.  My old office in Ottawa had a marvellous US/Canada Tax consultant, Gary Gauvin,  but he has moved to Texas and I no longer have any ownership or anything else to do with the Ottawa office which bears my name.  If you type - income tax expert - into Google, Gary and I usually come up in the top three or four. (www.garygauvin.com)

Steve Peters with KPMG in Halifax knows his stuff.  (902) 492-6011

Brad Howland in Victoria is good.  (250) 598-6258

Steve Katz in Vancouver is really good with pension matters. (604) 732-1515

In Toronto, Kevin Nightingale is one of the best that exists.  The National Post's Jonathon Chevreau regularly recognizes Kevin and I in his columns.

The following from an older Q & A sort of states my position


Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:02 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: accountant in Toronto

A friend of mine suggested that I contact you. I am an American who
moved to Canada in 2005 and am looking for an accountant in Toronto
who can help me with my U.S. and Canadian individual tax returns, and
who can provide me with advice about what to do with my 403(b)
retirement account. Thank you for your help.
david ingram replies:

I will start off by saying that you should mail or courier it to us as half
of our clients do.

However, although I have never met him, Kevyn Nightingale and I have been
quoted in many articles in the National Post.

Kevyn Nightingale,
Suite 302 - 5001 Yonge Street
North York, Ontario, M2N 6P6
Tel: 416-733-9595 / Fax: 416-733-4725

And it was a good question.  I just looked at his fee structure and think I
will raise mine.

We will help prepare your federal and state income tax return or provincial
returns.  We do no online filing but will file the returns so that you can
check the status online. We will do the 1040 or 1040NR or 1040X pr 1041
estate return, your Canadian T1 and in a pinch can help you look after a
Mexican return as well with our Guadalajara consultant, David Holroyd.

Whether it is help with specific or general information, filing,  or just an
estimate of the tax you will owe in a specific situation, we can calculate
it for you. We can be the estimator for the tax equalization if you are
being transferred from state to state or country to country.

Our help is NOT free however.  Typically, we charge $400 Cdn per hour for
calculating, preparing or consultation service or services. We specialize in
old returns so if you have not filed because of a bankruptcy or
procrastination, we regularly do 10 years back for US / Canada citizens
where the US citizen has failed to file while living in Canada.  We can look
after the TDF-90 and form 8891 RRSP reporting forms as well.

David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
Home office at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325

Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week (please do not fax or phone
outside of those hours as this is a home office)

email to [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>
www.centa.com <http://www.centa.com/www.david-ingram.com

Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or
consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at
www.centa.com <http://www.centa.com> . If you forward this message, this
disclaimer must be included."

Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts" 


Phone consultations are $400 for 15 minutes to 50 minutes (professional hour).
This is not intended to be definitive but in general I am quoting $800 to $2,000 for a dual country tax return.
$800 would be one T4 slip one W2 slip one or two interest slips and you lived in one country only - no self employment or rentals or capital gains - you did not move into or out of the country in this year.
$1,000 would be the same with one rental
$1,200 would be the same with one business no rental
$1,200 would be the minimum with a move in or out of the country. These are complicated because of the back and forth foreign tax credits. - The IRS says a foreign tax credit takes 1 hour and 53 minutes.
$1,500 would be the minimum with a rental or two in the country you do not live in or a rental and a business and foreign tax credits  no move in or out
$2,000 would be all of the above and you moved in and out of the country.
This is just a guideline for US / Canadian returns
We will still prepare Canadian only (lives in Canada, no US connection period) with a three or four slips and no capital gains, etc. for $125.00 up.
With a Rental for $300
A Business for $300 - Rental and business likely $400
And an American only (lives in the US with no Canadian income or filing period) with about the same things in the same range with a little bit more if there is a state return.
Moving in or out of the country or part year earnings in the US will ALWAYS be $400 and up.
TDF 90-22.1 forms are $25 for the first and $10.00 each after that when part of a tax return.
8891 forms are generally $50.00 to $100.00 each.
18 RRSPs would be $900.00 - (maybe amalgamate a couople)
Capital gains *sales)  are likely $50.00 for the first and $20.00 each after that.
Just a guideline not etched in stone. 

This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from www.centa.com
<http://www.centa.com/>  or www.jurock.com <http://www.jurock.com/>  or
www.featureweb.com <http://www.featureweb.com/> . David Ingram deals on a
daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the
United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai,
Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia,
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran,
India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK,
GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio Houston
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration
Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica Rwanda Guru  Consultant
Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax
specialist expert preparer expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning
FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions
Grand Cayman Aruba

Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo
New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia,
Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers,
Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay,
Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton,
Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego,
Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa,
Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham,
Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence,
Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George, Prince
Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon,
Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin,
Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing,
Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds,
Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Davidson,
Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Edinburgh,
Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney, Nanaimo,
Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich, Kyoto,
Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries, Squamish,
Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope, Penticton,
Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis, Centralia,
Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St
James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears,
Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, Albany STAR WARS

international non-resident cross border income tax help assistance expert  preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, experts on rentals mutual  funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce preparer preparers consultants

David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Saudi Arabia to Mexico to China or Chile - Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.476 / Virus Database: 269.10.11/909 - Release Date: 20/07/2007 4:39 PM


Trackback URL for this entry: http://www.centa.com/trackback.php/UsCaWeekofMon20070716003455.html

No trackback comments for this entry.