Canadian working in USA under TN, Tax return quote.

> Dear David
> I am a Canadian and working at Maryland, USA. I am working under TN. I
> went to USA to work since end of May 2007. From January 2007 to April
> 2007, I work part time at Vancouver. I am Single and
> I have cancelled all my Bank account, credit cards in Canada. I don't have
> any investment in Canada but I have 401K in USA since I start working.

> I and my family bought a townhouse in December 2007, so there is one
> property under my name ( I am the co-owner). I am confused about the Tax
> between Canada and USA, and from my understanding I have to file to both
> of them for year 2007. Do I have to write the determination of
> non-residence form to CRA before filing the tax-return for 2007? I am
> wondering how much it will cost if you help me to file the tax return to
> both country. Thanks very much.
david ingram replies:

You need to file a departing Canada T1 tax return which will report the
income you earned in Canada. Normally, you would also need to file forms
1161, 1243 and 1244 as well but only if you still owned assets such as real
estate or mutual funds (anywhere in the world) when you left.

For the US, you have a choice of filing a 1040 Dual Status return plus a
1040NR dual status statement OR a 1040 with the Canadian income reported on
the 1040 as well.  In this case, it would likely be less US tax because you
get to claim the full standard deduction and it is unlikely that your
itemized deductions would be enough to make a difference on a dual status
tax return.  (That would not likely be true if you had bought your
townhouse in August and had 5 months of interest and taxes to deduct). You
make the tax owing on the US for the Canadian income by filing US form 1116
to claim the foreign tax credit OR you file a form 2350 extension and exempt
the reported Canadian Income of form 2555..  In other words, your US return
can be filed three different ways and there is NO right way without doing
all the calculations first.

For Maryland, the only choice is to form 502 and mark a P on the right hand
side 1/3rd of the way down to indicate that you are a part year resident. If
the 2350/2555 choice was made for

If we help you (that is what we do) the fee would be between $900 and
$2,900. Moving in or out of the country with income in both countries and no
Canadian assets and no RRSP accounts will likely be in the $1,200 range.

You can get a better idea of our costs by looking at the pricing down below.

I am confused by the contradiction in your question.  First you say you are
single - then you say your 'family' bought the townhouse.  Did your parents
or siblings buy half to help you out or are they living there with you.


On December 25, 2007, David Ingram wrote:

It is very unlikely that blind or unexpected email to me will be answered.
I receive anywhere from 100 to 700  unsolicited emails a day and usually
answer anywhere from 2 to 20 if they are not from existing clients.
Existing clients are advised to put their 'name and PAYING CUSTOMER' in the
subject line and get answered first.  I also refuse to be a slave to email
and do not look at it every day and have never ever looked at it when I am
out of town.  e bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican
Income Tax  service and help
However, I regularly search for the words"PAYING CUSTOMER" and always answer
them first if they did not get spammed out. For the last two weeks, I have
just found out that my own email notes to myself have been spammed out and
as an example, as I write this on Dec 25, 2007 since June 16th, my 'spammed
out' box has 47,941 unread messages, my deleted box has 16645 I have
actually looked at and deleted and I have actually answered 1234 email
questions for clients and strangers without sending a bill.  I have also put
aside 847 messages that I am maybe going to try and answer because they look
interesting. -e bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican
Income Tax service and  help

Therefore, if an email is not answered in 24 to 36 hours, it is likely lost
in space.  You can try and resend it but if important AND YOU TRULY WANT OR
NEED AN ANSWER from 'me', you will have to phone to make an appointment.
Gillian Bryan generally accepts appointment requests for me between 10:30 AM
and 4:00 PM Monday to Friday VANCOUVER (Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles) time
at (604) 980-0321.  david ingram expert  US Canada Canadian American
Mexican Income Tax  service and help.
david ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325

Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -
(please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  service help.
 email to
[email protected]

Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or
consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be
included." e bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income
Tax  service and help.

David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident
Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico  family, estate,
income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments
are all handled with competence & authority.

Phone consultations are $400 for 15 minutes to 50 minutes (professional
hour). Please note that GST is added if product remains in Canada or is to
be returned to Canada or a phone consultation is in Canada. expert  US
Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  service and help.
This is not intended to be definitive but in general I am quoting $900 to
$2,900 for a dual country tax return.

$900 would be one T4 slip one W2 slip one or two interest slips and you
lived in one country only (but were filing both countries) - no self
employment or rentals or capital gains - you did not move into or out of the
country in this year.

$1,100 would be the same with one rental

$1,300 would be the same with one business no rental

$1,300 would be the minimum with a move in or out of the country. These are
complicated because of the back and forth foreign tax credits. - The IRS
says a foreign tax credit takes 1 hour and 53 minutes.

$1,600 would be the minimum with a rental or two in the country you do not
live in or a rental and a business and foreign tax credits  no move in or

$1,700 would be for two people with income from two countries

$2,900 would be all of the above and you moved in and out of the country.

This is just a guideline for US / Canadian returns

We will still prepare Canadian only (lives in Canada, no US connection
period) with two or three slips and no capital gains, etc. for $200.00 up.

With a Rental for $400, two or three rentals for $550 to $700 (i.e. $150 per
rental) First year Rental - plus $250.

A Business for $400 - Rental and business likely $550 to $700

And an American only (lives in the US with no Canadian income or filing
period) with about the same things in the same range with a little bit more
if there is a state return.

Moving in or out of the country or part year earnings in the US will ALWAYS
be $900 and up.

TDF 90-22.1 forms are $50 for the first and $25.00 each after that when part
of a tax return.

8891 forms are generally $50.00 to $100.00 each.

18 RRSPs would be $900.00 - (maybe amalgamate a couple)

Capital gains *sales)  are likely $50.00 for the first and $20.00 each after

Catch - up returns for the US where we use the Canadian return as a guide
for seven years at a time will be $150 to $500.00 per year depending upon
numbers of bank accounts, RRSP's, existence of rental houses, self
employment, etc.

Just a guideline not etched in stone.

This from "ask an income trusts tax service and immigration expert" from or or David Ingram deals on
a daily basis with expatriate tax returns with multi jurisdictional cross
and trans border expatriate problems  for the United States, Canada, Mexico,
Great Britain, United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand,
Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia,
Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida,
Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali,
Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent,
Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, and any of the 43 states with state
tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas, San Antonio Houston, Denmark, Finland,
Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration Tips, Income Tax
Immigration Wizard Antarctica Rwanda Guru  Consultant Specialist Section
216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist expert
preparer expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning FINTRAC E677 E667
105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions Grand Cayman
Aruba Zimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US Income Tax Convention.
Advice on bankruptcy  e bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian American
Mexican Income Tax service and help .

David Ingram expert income tax service and immigration help and preparation
of US Canada Mexico non-resident and cross border returns with rental
dividend wages self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits family estate
trust trusts income tax convention treaty advice on bankruptcy

New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia,
Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers,
Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay,
Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton,
Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego,
Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa,
Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham,
Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence,
Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George, Prince
Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon,
Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin,
Hamburg,  Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai,
Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red
Deer, Olds, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La
Prairie, Davidson, Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby,
Surrey, Edinburgh, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich,
Sydney, Nanaimo, Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne,
Zurich, Kyoto, Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries,
Squamish, Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope,
Penticton, Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis,
Centralia, Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson,
Fort St James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape
Spears, Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, income trust,
Income Tax Treaty Convention. - e bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian
American  Mexican Income Tax  service and help.

 david ingram International non-resident cross border expert income tax &
immigration help estate family trust assistance expert preparation &
immigration consultant, income trusts experts on rentals mutual funds RRSP
RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce preparer preparers consultants Income Tax
Convention Treaty.  advice on bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian American
Mexican Income Tax help.

Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts".   bankruptcy expert  US Canada
Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax service help.  -

 expert us Canada Canadian Mexico income tax service and help 


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.