Part II - Social Security - WEP clawback if less than 30 years - international non-resident cross border income tax help estate

  Your statement:  WEP only applies if you paid into another system and not into FICA for 30 years or more.
  Is not correct!  I lived & worked in Canada for 5 years before moving back to the US.  When I applied for SS at age 62 with over 30 years of FICA contributions, I got whacked with WEP, not for income from CPP (for which I have not yet applied,) but for a Canadian private annuity from the University for which I worked. 
  It didn't seem quite fair, so I protested and got it reviewed, to no avail.  I was also told that if I apply and got any CPP payments, I must also inform SS and my payments would be further reduced.
  BTW: I use your former colleague, Gary (in Texas) to do my tax preparations.
david ingram replies:
The reason you are / were penalized is that Canadaian University pensions are 'blended' pensions and there is a CPP component.  It is the same problem US treachers have between Florida and Oklahoma.   When the Canada Pension Pan was brought in in 1966, Univeristy professores objected strongly to making new payments because 'professors'  were professionals with University pensions and the CPP was aimed at lowly non-professional employees.  As a consequence, University pension premiums were reduced by the amount of the CPP premiums and the two were blended and both fall under the WEP legislation.  
I am not a WEP specialist by any means.  I have NEVER attempted the calculation.  However, my understanding is that you will always get more even if there is a clawback.
david ingram
   On Behalf Of US / Canada Income Tax Help - CEN-TAPEDE
  Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2008 2:20 AM
  To: CENTAPEDE; jurock
  Subject: US CANADA Social Security - WEP clawback if less than 30 years - international non-resident cross border income tax help estate family trust assistance expert preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, income trusts experts on rentals mutual funds
 QUESTION: I am a Canadian citizen living and working in the US. I just got my Permanent Residency this year through marriage to a US citizen and plan to work in the US for the next 30 years.  My husband and I then plan to retire to Canada and we want to maximize our social security benefits.  I am the high-earner (and green card holder) so my social security benefit will be important to our quality of life as retirees.  I understand that if I retire to Canada as a permanent resident, not only will I need to maintain permanent residency,but I will also only recieve half of the social security benefit while living in Canada.  My question is, if I get my US citizenship will I receive the full social security benefit when we retire to Canada? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------david ingram replies; Since the US social Security Administration and 5 or 6 Presidential candidates don't really know what is happening with social security, next year, it would presumptious of me to guess what s going to happen 30 years from now.
  However, if you were retiring today with thirty years of contributions to the Social Security system, you would receive 30/40 of the maximum pension you had qualified for because you have to contibute for 40 yers to get a full pension.  
  If you moved to Canada, there would not be any reduction but Canada always taxes 85% of it whereas at incomes of under $35,000 for a couple and $25,000 for a single person, the US does not tax any social seurity benefits. Above that there is a floating scale until the US also taxes 85% o fthe amount received.
  Now in 1995, Canada only taxed 50% of Social Security, in 1996 and 1997, Canada did not tax social security, and from 1998 on, Canada is taxing 85%.  
  I do not have a clue what it will be in 2038.
  Now the 85% rule does not mean that Canada will take 85% as tax.
  In today's dollars, if your gross income was under $35,000 and $10,000 of that was social security, only $8,500 would be taxable and the tax would be a maximum of about 24% (depending upon the province) or $2,040.  In addition, you can claim a $2,000 pension income deduction amount which would reduce your tax by a further 24% of 2,000 or $480 making a net Canadian tax to you on $10,000  of  ($2040 - $480) $1,560, a far cry from the 50% you suggest in your question. Even if your Caandian income was $50,000 each, you would only b paying about $2,500 tax on the $10,000 Social Security.
  Now that was easy because your question said 30 years.   If you pay in to FICA (Use Social Security) for less than 30 years, there is a bit of a clawback under WEP (the Windfall Elimination Provision).  This has nothing to do with Canada per se. It would apply to a US citizen school teacher who worked for 20 years in Florida and moved to Oklahoma for another 25 years.  Because one of those states has its own Pension fund and its teacher employees pay into the state plan instead of Social Security, just as people who work in Canada pay into  Canada Pension Plan instead of  FICA.
  The assumption is that the other pension makes up for the clawback under WEP but that is just not true.  However, there is a move to cancel the WEP and hopefully it will not apply next year let alone 30 years from now.
  Note that WEP does not apply if you only paid in for 25 years because that is all you worked.  WEP only applies if you paid into another system and not into FICA for 30 years or more.
  This older q & a will give you some more infromation and a look at the US/Canada Social Security Totalization Agreement.  Article XVIII of the US Caanda Income Tax Treaty also applies.
taxman at Please see bottom of message if you wish to unsubscribe.------------------------------------------
  I am a Canadian citizen who left Canada to work in the USA for 5 years. I have since retuned to Canada where I plan to stay. I was wondering if the money I paid into Social Security while in the states is lost or is there a way to transfer the money back to Canada??
  david ingram replies:
  This older Q & A might help
  Hi David,
  I have been working in USA for last 10 years under TN visa and have been paying FICA etc in US but have not filed return to Canada until 2006.
  Can I benefit from all the FICA payments later or should I find a way/if there is any way to transfer it to Canadian retirement?
  david ingram replies:
  Answered many times - just last week in fact, and reproduced here with a slight improvement suggested by Andrew Nelson
  QUESTION: My apologies if this questions have asked many times before.I could not find right and easy answer for this.
  I am a Canadian citizen working in USA under TN visa for last 2 yrs. I wonder what will happen for social security tax i pay in USA.Does it goes to Canadian social security.Is it possible to get refund ?
  Thanks in advance.
  david ingram replies;
  The US Canada Social Security Totalization Agreement means that you will be able to collect Social Security from the US when you retire whether you have 1 year ( technically 6 quarters which can be earned from July to June which is one year but if you started working on Jan 1, you would need to work 1 year and another $2,000 or so in another year to qualify.    For 2007, you need just short of $1,000 of earnings to qualify for one quarter.)
  The actual agreement in all its glory CAN BE FOUND AT:
  david ingram wrote: 
  David Ingram's US / Canada Services
  US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
  US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
  My Home office is at:
  4466 Prospect Road
  North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
  Cell (604) 657-8451 - 
  (604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
  Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
  email to taxman at
  Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."
  Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
  David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico  family, estate, income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.
  Phone consultations are $400 for 15 minutes to 50 minutes (professional hour). Please note that GST is added if product remains in Canada or a phone consultation is in Canada.
  This is not intended to be definitive but in general I am quoting $800 to $2,800 for a dual country tax return.
  $800 would be one T4 slip one W2 slip one or two interest slips and you lived in one country only - no self employment or rentals or capital gains - you did not move into or out of the country in this year.
  $1,000 would be the same with one rental 
  $1,200 would be the same with one business no rental
  $1,200 would be the minimum with a move in or out of the country. These are complicated because of the back and forth foreign tax credits. - The IRS says a foreign tax credit takes 1 hour and 53 minutes.
  $1,500 would be the minimum with a rental or two in the country you do not live in or a rental and a business and foreign tax credits  no move in or out 
  $1,600 would be for two people with income from two countries
  $2,800 would be all of the above and you moved in and out of the country.
  This is just a guideline for US / Canadian returns
  We will still prepare Canadian only (lives in Canada, no US connection period) with two or three slips and no capital gains, etc. for $150.00 up.
  With a Rental for $350
  A Business for $350 - Rental and business likely $450
  And an American only (lives in the US with no Canadian income or filing period) with about the same things in the same range with a little bit more if there is a state return.
  Moving in or out of the country or part year earnings in the US will ALWAYS be $800 and up.
  TDF 90-22.1 forms are $50 for the first and $25.00 each after that when part of a tax return.
  8891 forms are generally $50.00 to $100.00 each.
  18 RRSPs would be $900.00 - (maybe amalgamate a couple)
  Capital gains *sales)  are likely $50.00 for the first and $20.00 each after that.
  Just a guideline not etched in stone. 
  This from "ask an income trusts tax and immigration expert" from or or David Ingram deals on a daily basis with expatriate tax returns with multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas, San Antonio Houston, Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica Rwanda Guru  Consultant Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist expert preparer expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions Grand Cayman Aruba Zimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US Income Tax Convention
  David Ingram expert income tax help and preparation of US Canada Mexico non-resident and cross border returns with rental dividend wages self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits family estate trust trusts income tax convention treaty
  New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay, Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton, Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa, Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham, Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence, Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George, Prince Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon, Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin, Hamburg,  Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Davidson, Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Edinburgh, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney, Nanaimo, Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich, Kyoto, Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries, Squamish, Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope, Penticton, Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis, Centralia, Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears, Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, income trust, Income Tax Treaty Convention 
  international non-resident cross border income tax help estate family trust assistance expert preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, income trusts experts on rentals mutual funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce preparer preparers consultants Income Tax Convention Treaty 
  Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, California,  Colorado, Connecticut,  Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida, Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,  Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky, Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,  Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon, Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland, Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris Prague Moscow Berlin Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo Zimbabwe Income Tax Treaty Convention
  No virus found in this incoming message.
  Checked by AVG Free Edition. 
  Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.19/1256 - Release Date: 02/02/2008 1:50 PM
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition. 
Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.2/1270 - Release Date: 10/02/2008 12:21 PM
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition. 
Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.2/1270 - Release Date: 10/02/2008 12:21 PM
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.