Capital Gain and or gift tax on gift of equity - Kerry Kerstetter - The Tax Guru -

I live in PA.  My husband and I are going to be purchasing my grandmother's house from my mother and uncle who inherited it when my grandmother passed away. We are purchasing it for 75,000 with them giving us a gift of equity of 35000 (Purchase price of $110,000(appraised value of the home)...Will they have to pay capital gain on that? Or will we?  If either party does, how much is capital gain tax typically?
david ingram replies:
If they have just inherited it four months ago and you are buying it now and it has not gone up in value, there would niot be any capital gains tax payable by your mother and uncle,.
If they inherited it two years ago and it has gone down in value since, there will not be any capital gains tax.
If they are giving you $35,000, the rules today are that they can give you up to $12,000 each with no gift tax.  therefore, your mother can give you up to $12,000 and your husband up to $12,000 and your uncle can do the same thing so there is no gift tax problem nor is there the need to file a form.
If they inherited it five years ago and it has doubled in value (or any other amount), they can expect to pay 10% capital gains tax on their share of the increase.
The following comes from Kerry Kersetter's very excellent Q & A forum on US tax.  I recommend it wholeheartedly and you can find the newsletter uitself at
The following is two days old on his site.
Gift Tax Exemptions
Subject: Questiion about the gift tax and exclusions 
      My sister and I have a question about the gift tax exclusions.
  This year the max. gift is $12,000 per person annually. But there is a $1,000,000 "Lifetime exclusion"
  My sister belives that means that the doner can give a lifetime of 1 million in gifts (which includes the 12k per person annually) and anything over that is taxed. But I think that the 1 million lifetime exclusion means that whatever is over the annual 12k per person is deducted from the 1million. So if someone is given 30k in one year as a gift - 18k (30-12) is deducted from the lifetime one million.
  Could you please clarifry this for us?
  Also, if the 1 million exemption is not reached by the time somone dies- can it be given after death without being taxed? on top of the 2 million Estate exemption from taxes?
  Thank You so much,
You really need to be discussing any kind of gifting program with your own personal professional tax advisor because there are many ways to accomplish whatever it is you want to.
However, I can clear up some of your misunderstandings.
First is the issue of gifts versus bequests.  Gifts are only made while a person is alive. Once the person passes away, gifts are no longer possible.  Bequests, per the instructions in his/her will or living trust, are the way items are passed from the deceased to whomever s/he wants to transfer things to.  
This is an important distinction because a person can give away up to one million dollars worth of assets above the annual tax free amount while s/he is alive.  If more than that is given while the person is alive, s/he must file a gift tax return (709) and pay gift tax to IRS.
After a person passes away, s/he is subject to the estate (aka Death or Inheritance) tax.  Under this tax system, the amount of the estate that is not subject to any estate tax varies depending on the year in which the person passes away.  As you can see on the chart on my website,   people passing on during 2007 have a two million dollar exemption.  
The way this interacts with the one million dollar lifetime gift tax exclusion is that, on the Estate Tax Return (706), the total amount of the lifetime gifts used during the person's lifetime is added back to the gross estate's value.  The net effect is basically to reduce the tax free exclusion from the estate tax.  For example, if $500,000 of tax free gifts had been used by someone who passed away in 2007, this would be added to the value of his taxable estate on the 706.  After reducing the estate tax by the credit for the $2,000,000 allowance, it works out to be the same as if he only has $1,500,000 eligible for exemption from estate tax.  The actual calculation is a little trickier than this, but it's an easy way to understand the concept.
So, your concern about the unused portion of the million dollar lifetime gift allowance is moot.  Whatever hasn't been used while the person was alive will end up resulting in a higher exemption from the estate tax.  For example, someone who passed away in 2007 without utilizing any of his million dollars in tax free gifts will have the full $2,000,000 available for his estate tax.
In regard to the annual gifting allowance and the lifetime exclusion, your explanation is the more accurate one.  Someone making gifts that don't exceed the limit of $12,000 to any one person during any calendar year will not have to file any gift tax returns and will not have used up any of his/her million dollar lifetime allowance.
Someone who does give any single person more than the $12,000 during a single calendar year will have to file a gift tax return to report that and show how much of his/her lifetime exclusion is being used up at that time, as well as how much of the million dollars is remaining.  Only the amount above the annual allowance needs to be deducted from the lifetime exclusion.  As in your example, someone giving another person $30,000 during a single calendar year would only have to claim $18,000 as coming off of the million dollar lifetime exclusion.  Each person is required to keep a running tally of how much of that million dollars has been used up during his/her lifetime so that the person preparing the final estate tax return can show the final cumulative amount.
As I said at the beginning, there are a number of very common gifting strategies, such as gift splitting between spouses, loans and debt forgiveness, and dividing gifts up between different family members, that can easily allow people to avoid having to ever dip into their lifetime exclusion at all  These need to be planned out with the assistance of a professional tax advisor.
I hope this helps you understand this topic a little better and how important it is to have professional assistance before actually doing anything in this area.
Good luck.
Kerry Kerstetter
David Ingram wrote: 
It is very unlikely that blind or unexpected email to me will be answered.  I receive anywhere from 100 to 700  unsolicited emails a day and usually answer anywhere from 2 to 20 if they are not from existing clients.  Existing clients are advised to put their 'name and PAYING CUSTOMER' in the subject and get answered first.  I also refuse to be a slave to email and do not look at it every day and have never ever looked at it when I am out of town.  e bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax help
However, I regularly search for the words"PAYING CUSTOMER" and always answer them first if they did not get spammed out. As an example, as I write this on Oct 18, 2007 since June 16th (124 days), my 'spammed out' box has 34,939 unread messages, my deleted box has 11854 I have actually looked at and deleted and I answerd 1078 email questions for clients and strangers.  I have also put aside 622 messages that I am maybe going to try and answer because they look interesting. -e bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax help
Therefore, if an email is not answered in 24 to 36 hours, it is lost in space.  You can try and resend it but if important AND YOU TRULY WANT OR NEED AN ANSWER, you will have to phone to make an appointment.  Gillian Bryan generally accepts appointment requests for me between 10:30 AM and 4:00 PM Monday to Friday VANCOUVER (Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles) time at (604) 980-0321. expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax help.
david ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 - 
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office) expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax help.
 email to taxman at
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included." e bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax help.
David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico  family, estate, income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.
Phone consultations are $400 for 15 minutes to 50 minutes (professional hour). Please note that GST is added if product remains in Canada or is to be returned to Canada or a phone consultation is in Canada. expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax help.
This is not intended to be definitive but in general I am quoting $900 to $2,900 for a dual country tax return.
$900 would be one T4 slip one W2 slip one or two interest slips and you lived in one country only (but were filing both countries) - no self employment or rentals or capital gains - you did not move into or out of the country in this year.
$1,100 would be the same with one rental 
$1,300 would be the same with one business no rental
$1,300 would be the minimum with a move in or out of the country. These are complicated because of the back and forth foreign tax credits. - The IRS says a foreign tax credit takes 1 hour and 53 minutes.
$1,600 would be the minimum with a rental or two in the country you do not live in or a rental and a business and foreign tax credits  no move in or out 
$1,700 would be for two people with income from two countries
$2,900 would be all of the above and you moved in and out of the country.
This is just a guideline for US / Canadian returns
We will still prepare Canadian only (lives in Canada, no US connection period) with two or three slips and no capital gains, etc. for $175.00 up.
With a Rental for $375
A Business for $375 - Rental and business likely $500
And an American only (lives in the US with no Canadian income or filing period) with about the same things in the same range with a little bit more if there is a state return.
Moving in or out of the country or part year earnings in the US will ALWAYS be $800 and up.
TDF 90-22.1 forms are $50 for the first and $25.00 each after that when part of a tax return.
8891 forms are generally $50.00 to $100.00 each.
18 RRSPs would be $900.00 - (maybe amalgamate a couple)
Capital gains *sales)  are likely $50.00 for the first and $20.00 each after that.
Catch - up returns for the US where we use the Canadian return as a guide will be $150 to $500.00 depending upon numbers of bank accounts, RRSP's, existence of rental houses, etc.
Just a guideline not etched in stone. 
This from "ask an income trusts tax and immigration expert" from or or David Ingram deals on a daily basis with expatriate tax returns with multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas, San Antonio Houston, Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica Rwanda Guru  Consultant Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist expert preparer expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions Grand Cayman Aruba Zimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US Income Tax Convention. Advice on bankruptcy  e bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax help. 
David Ingram expert income tax and immigration help and preparation of US Canada Mexico non-resident and cross border returns with rental dividend wages self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits family estate trust trusts income tax convention treaty advice on bankruptcy
New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay, Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton, Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa, Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham, Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence, Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George, Prince Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon, Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin, Hamburg,  Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Davidson, Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Edinburgh, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney, Nanaimo, Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich, Kyoto, Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries, Squamish, Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope, Penticton, Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis, Centralia, Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears, Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, income trust, Income Tax Treaty Convention. - e bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax help.
 david ingram International non-resident cross border expert income tax & immigration help estate family trust assistance expert preparation & immigration consultant, income trusts experts on rentals mutual funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce preparer preparers consultants Income Tax Convention Treaty.  advice on bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax help.
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts".   bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax help.  - 
 expert us canada canadian Mexico income tax help
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.