Casino Winnings - Canadian Resident - international non-resident cross border income tax help estate family trust assistance exp

  Hi, my husband won 1,250.00 at the Tulalip Casino on april 14, 2007.  He Was given form 1042-S showing the 30% withholding tax of 375.00.  We are trying to determine how we can receive those monies back.  
  I sent in a W-7 Application of IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number on April 18th, 2007 to obtain the identification number.  
  Am I correct, that I have to get this id number before filling out the 1040NR Income Tax Return form?
  Also do I fill out the 2006 1040NR form or wait until the 2007 forms are available as that is the year the monies were won and the tax taken off.
  Also which lines do I put the winnings and the tax amount withheld.  
  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You for your time.
  Could you please email me at 
  gacooke2 at
  Thanks again.
  when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt
  Be ALERT, the world needs more 'lerts'.
  david ingram replies:
  This came to a personal email which i do not look at very often. Even then only 1 or 2% do get answered.  This is very late but will answer your enquiry.
    Do you provide a service to recoup the 30% withholding tax from the IRS.
    If so what are your charges to do the work in total or to provide some advice to overcome the pitfalls (ie Article number of the Tax Treaty)
  david ingram replies:
  WE CAN PROVIDE THAT SERVICE but The 30% tax is only recoverable if you have in fact lost money in your gambling. oLDER QUESTIONS FOLLOW 
  I recently had taxes withheld on slot machine wins in Reno, NV.  I
  understand, as a Canadian resident, that I can apply to have the taxes
  refunded.  Do I have to wait until the calendar year ends to apply?
  david ingram replies:
  You have to wait until 2008 for a 2007 refund but you have to have gambling
  losses to offset gains to get a refund.
  The following is the answer to an older question.
  As a non US citizen, you must file a 1040NR along with a form W7 to get an
  ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).
  The following is a previous answer given in January to someone who had
  received a W2G for a win of $1,200.
  We can help you.
  older answer
  For non-residents of the United States, the withholding is 30% of wins of
  $1,200 or more.  You would file a 1040NR to report the winnings and claim
  your losses as itemized deductions.
  Remember that reporting just your win of $2100 and claiming gambling losses
  does not make sense.  If you won $2,100 (or any other amount) and lost that
  much, there were more winnings in between which should be reported even if a
  slip was not issued.
  Non-residents do not usually get a W2-G - they are issued a 1042-S
  david ingram
  IRS TAX TIP 2004-33
  Hit a big one in 2003? With more and more gambling establishments, the IRS
  reminds people that they must report all gambling winnings as income on
  their tax return.
  Gambling income includes, but is not limited to, winnings from lotteries,
  raffles, horse and dog races and casinos, as well as the fair market value
  of prizes such as cars, houses, trips or other noncash prizes.
  Generally, if you receive $600 ($1,200 from bingo and slot machines and
  $1,500 from keno) or more in gambling winnings, the payer is required to
  issue you a Form W-2G. If you have won more than $5,000, the payer may be
  required to withhold 27% of the proceeds for Federal income tax. However,
  if you did not provide your Social Security number to the payer, the
  amount withheld will be 30%.
  The full amount of your gambling winnings for the year must be reported on
  line 21, Form 1040 or the equivalent line on form 1040NR. If you itemize
  deductions, you can deduct your
  gambling losses for the year on line 27, Schedule A (Form 1040). You
  cannot deduct gambling losses that are more than your winnings.
  It is important to keep an accurate diary or similar record of your
  gambling winnings and losses. To deduct your losses, you must be able to
  provide receipts, tickets, statements or other records that show the
  amount of both your winnings and losses.
  For more information on record keeping, see IRS Publication 529,
  "Miscellaneous Deductions," or Publication 525, "Taxable and Non-taxable
  Income." You may also want to check out Form W-2G or Form 1042-S and its
  instructions and
  Tax Topic 419, "Gambling Income and expenses." All are available on the
  IRS Web site at You may also order free publications and
  forms by calling toll free 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676).
  Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air
  every Sunday morning.
  Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier
  Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS
  Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet
  Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - Long distance calls to 1-866-778-0600.
  Old shows are archived at the site.
  david ingram wrote: 
  David Ingram's US / Canada Services
  US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
  US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
  My Home office is at:
  4466 Prospect Road
  North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
  Cell (604) 657-8451 - 
  (604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
  Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
  email to taxman at
  Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."
  Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
  David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico  family, estate, income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.
  Phone consultations are $400 for 15 minutes to 50 minutes (professional hour). Please note that GST is added if product remains in Canada or a phone consultation is in Canada.
  This is not intended to be definitive but in general I am quoting $800 to $2,800 for a dual country tax return.
  $800 would be one T4 slip one W2 slip one or two interest slips and you lived in one country only - no self employment or rentals or capital gains - you did not move into or out of the country in this year.
  $1,000 would be the same with one rental 
  $1,200 would be the same with one business no rental
  $1,200 would be the minimum with a move in or out of the country. These are complicated because of the back and forth foreign tax credits. - The IRS says a foreign tax credit takes 1 hour and 53 minutes.
  $1,500 would be the minimum with a rental or two in the country you do not live in or a rental and a business and foreign tax credits  no move in or out 
  $1,600 would be for two people with income from two countries
  $2,800 would be all of the above and you moved in and out of the country.
  This is just a guideline for US / Canadian returns
  We will still prepare Canadian only (lives in Canada, no US connection period) with two or three slips and no capital gains, etc. for $150.00 up.
  With a Rental for $350
  A Business for $350 - Rental and business likely $450
  And an American only (lives in the US with no Canadian income or filing period) with about the same things in the same range with a little bit more if there is a state return.
  Moving in or out of the country or part year earnings in the US will ALWAYS be $800 and up.
  TDF 90-22.1 forms are $50 for the first and $25.00 each after that when part of a tax return.
  8891 forms are generally $50.00 to $100.00 each.
  18 RRSPs would be $900.00 - (maybe amalgamate a couple)
  Capital gains *sales)  are likely $50.00 for the first and $20.00 each after that.
  Just a guideline not etched in stone. 
  This from "ask an income trusts tax and immigration expert" from or or David Ingram deals on a daily basis with expatriate tax returns with multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas, San Antonio Houston, Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica Rwanda Guru  Consultant Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist expert preparer expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions Grand Cayman Aruba Zimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US Income Tax Convention
  David Ingram expert income tax help and preparation of US Canada Mexico non-resident and cross border returns with rental dividend wages self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits family estate trust trusts income tax convention treaty
  New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay, Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton, Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa, Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham, Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence, Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George, Prince Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon, Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin, Hamburg,  Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Davidson, Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Edinburgh, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney, Nanaimo, Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich, Kyoto, Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries, Squamish, Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope, Penticton, Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis, Centralia, Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears, Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, income trust, Income Tax Treaty Convention 
  international non-resident cross border income tax help estate family trust assistance expert preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, income trusts experts on rentals mutual funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce preparer preparers consultants Income Tax Convention Treaty 
  Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, California,  Colorado, Connecticut,  Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida, Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,  Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky, Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,  Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon, Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland, Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris Prague Moscow Berlin Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo Zimbabwe Income Tax Treaty Convention
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition. 
Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.11/1201 - Release Date: 28/12/2007 11:51 AM
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.