Susan's story -Linda Deck children born in US from a Canadian mother -

Also, for more information. The father is a US citizen. He is non-existent in 
their lives, does not pay support, no contact. He and I were never legally 
married. I am told because we were never legally married I have full sole legal 
custody. Yet, I cannot get a passport or get back to Canada with them. How is it 
I can have full legal custody and not be allowed to leave the country with them? 
--------------------------This older question which includes Susan's story might help you understand."SUSAN'S STORY"which I have extracted from an excellent book entitled:NAFTA Trade Dependency:The Ramifications, Solutions and Guidebookfor NAFTA Family Members -$24.95 USthis book and another book entitled:Job Mobility Across the 49th: the FAQs$12.95 USare available from authorLinda P Deck - buy both for only $28.90 U.S.)or if you cannot order on the INTERNET, you can order at(800) 986-2314.If you are looking for a Xmas gift for your TD (TradeDependent) daughter who is living with her husband in LasVegas, or Atlanta, or Los Angeles or you are thinking ofgetting one of these visas yourself, then these books arewhat you want.Get both.The first explains the problems and the second gives theFAQs (frequently asked questions) answers.Any Canadian employer thinking of transferring a marriedperson south (or North to Alaska) should make sure theemployee"s spouse has read and initialed each and every pageBEFORE actually transferring the employee.Every U.S. employer who is thinking of hiring a marriedCanadian under the TN visa process should make sure thatthe prospective employee's spouse has read and initialedeach and every page BEFORE actually signing up theemployee. It is far too expensive to hire and train someonewho you expect to work for 6 or 7 years only to have themleave in 6 months.Although the comments here apply to the spouse and childrenof most (except H1A and G1A) visa holders, the worstaffected are the TN / TD combinations. The reason is verysimple. If you are offered one of the easy 63 jobs thisafternoon by fax and you have all your original degrees inplace, I can have you working legally in Chicago or LosAngeles or Atlanta or New York tomorrow morning. Yourspouse will not even know what happened.It is that easy. And because it is so easy, there is notime for the spouse to really analyze what she is gettinginto. The story I am reprinting here is from Page 14 of:Linda Deck"s book "NAFTA TRADE DEPENDENCY:"SUSAN'S STORYSusan waited in the women's shelter reception area, hopingagainst hope that she would be welcomed and given a placeto stay for the time being. Beside her sat two of herchildren, a ten-year old daughter, Michelle, and a fourteenyear old son, Matthew. Would there be room at the sheltertonight for the three of them? Would the shelter turn ablind eye to them, as the three of them are NOT citizens orpermanent residents? Worst of all, what about her eldest,fifteen year old Jonathon, who refused to come with them andwas still home with his father?Susan came to the Women's Shelter today, even though the hot line worker smugly informed her that basically her onlychoice is to leave the kids behind and flee the country.The shelter could only offer very temporary assistance. Yetit was better than the first phone call Susan had made.The other crisis line worker was so uncomfortable with theconcept of a temporary resident needing help from thecommunity that the worker started giggling like a schoolgirl. The movie, "Not Without My Daughter" took on a wholenew meaning for Susan. If Susan had guessed for a minutetwo years ago that she would be playing the leading role inher own personal saga of "Not Without My Three Kids", shewould never have opted to accompany her husband in hisquest for adventure and different employment in the UnitedStates.For the past year, Susan coped with progressively worseningmarital conditions in the household. Her husband, Frank,became increasingly demanding and showed increased stress in his daily life. Finally on Friday night, the wholesituation climaxed. Susan managed to escape with the twoyounger children to seek medical attention at the hospital.It started simply enough. The family had decided torelocate for Frank's job and that it would be all right forSusan not to work for a time. Susan had welcomed theopportunity "not to work" full time and to study. She didnot realize the impact of being forcibly unemployed,completely vulnerable and on only one income which was nothers. They made the move from Canada to the United States.For the first time in her adult life, Susan suddenly hadzero personal income. Gradually, Susan became aware of theproblems associated with being dependent upon another person for the very roof over her head, the food in the pantry and the clothes in her and the children's closets. Being anindependent woman, this was so very different from anythingshe had ever experienced before.The finances worsened, leaving Frank and Susan's familywondering if they could afford to make all the monthlypayments and save themselves from bankruptcy. Even though they pinched pennies, it was still not quite enough to save them from diminishing their savings account. Susan wasforced to quit her university studies, as they could notafford the foreign student tuition bill after the secondsemester on Frank's single salary.Now that the financial stress had resulted in physical abuseand Susan was awaiting help from society, the news she isabout to discover is not going to make her day. She willfind out that she may remain in the shelter temporarilywith her daughter Michelle. Her son, Matthew will eitherhave to go home to his father or to a runaway shelter forboys. Her son, Jonathon, will stay with his father, Frank.Susan's legal dependent status has just become void, as sheis no longer with her bread- winning husband, Frank. Shedoes not qualify for any social assistance in either Canadaor the United States.Susan appears not to have any choice but to return home toCanada with only two of her children, fracturing the familyunit and smuggling her children out of the United States.Even though she wants to obey the law and wait for a courtdate to apply for custody and permission to take thechildren out of the country, her status has become void.She has no means of supporting herself to wait for legalcustody. As a typical mother, leaving any of her childrenbehind with an international border between them is not anoption. To return home to Canada, she will be forced tomake the trip look like a short and happy vacation. If theairlines or the border patrol suspect that she is taking thechildren out of the country without her abusive husband'spermission, they have the right (and duty) to deny her entryonto the airplane or into the country (CANADA). Ironically,she is supposed to have notarized permission from herhusband to flee the country (United States) with thechildren.Adding to the stress, she realizes that she does not evenhave enough money for transportation home. She will have nochoice but to leave the family house and every material itemshe has ever worked for behind as she accepts donationsfrom her family or the (Canadian) Embassy for bus, air ortrain fare. There is no possibility for the family to workout their differences with a trail separation (within thecommunity). Once Susan escapes the abuse, she is strippedof even her legal status (i.e. her U.S. TD visa issubservient to her husband's TN visa and does not standalone.).The domestic abuse shelters vary according to the length oftime that Susan may stay. Some shelters are merely on adaily basis where she would be forced to leave the shelterat 6 AM. Other shelters would allow her to stay forbetween fourteen to thirty days. After that, she would beon her own in a foreign country and without legal workauthorization. She may not simply transfer from oneshelter to another one. The shelters communicate with oneanother. The result would be that Susan would becomebanned from all the shelters in town.Susan accidentally discovered the suffering that manyimmigrant women worldwide suffer as soon as they becomeimmigrants or non-immigrants. This is not a new phenomenon. However this particular situation is happening under the guise of free trade. The governments promoted the NAFTA as being an alternative to waiting for permanent residency or landed immigrant status.Susan and many others might have known some of thechallenges they were about to face if the decision had beento relocate to a Third World overseas country (even SaudiArabia for instance) where females and their children enjoyfew human rights. Susan and her family merely relocatedwithin North America and had no idea that the hurdlesinvolved would be similar to moving overseas. If they hadrealized the similarities of the challenges, they simplywould not have moved. QUESTION:
I am a Canadian woman in the US. My 2 kids were born in the US from a US man. Their father and I never married and he has deserted us. I need to go back to Canada, I need help with my kids. How do I register my 2 children's Canadian citizen status so I can get them back into Canada with me?
david ingram replies:
The information you need is in this old question
QUESTION: My son-in-law is a Canadian Citizen. He has residence status in the US 
and has had it for about 12 years. He is married to my daughter and they have two children. 
My question are twofold: I know that Canada recognizes dual citizenship. 
Doe the US recognize dual citizenship? 
Second question: My son-in-law had been working in the USA for some time. 
He is well educated and has a very good job. He pays US taxes, files a tax return every tear. He also pays into the social security system. 
Can he / or will here receive Social Security benefits when he reaches the age of 65. 
He was told he could not. 
There must be some treaty agreement between the Us and Canada on this.    
david ingram replies:
Goto and read the October 1993 newsletter in the top left 
hand box for about 12 pages on dual citizenship and the history between 
the US and Canada.   The Canadian government position is at
You will see that the US does recognize dual citizenship and my 
recommendation is that your s-i-l gets his US citizenship as soon as 
*His two children are also Canadians* and he should register their birth 
and get Canadian passports for them as soon as possible as well.  See 
how to at
He will qualify for US Social Security after paying into the US system 
for 6 quarters.  He has to pay in for 40 years to get the maximum and 30 
years to get a proper pro-rated amount.  If he pays in for less than 20 
years there is a bit of a clawback under legislation called the 
he WEP applies to anyone who did not pay into US Social Security for 30 
years because they were paying into another political jurisdiction's 
He will also qualify for a reduced Canadian CPP if he worked in Canada  
after turning 18.
*/* *//*
/david ingram's US / Canada Services/
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
*(604) 980-0321* Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time - 
 (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home 
office) */expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  
service help./*
 email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> <> 
*/pert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  service and help./*
David Ingram gives expert income tax service & immigration help to 
non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to 
Mexico  family, estate, income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - 
out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.
*Phone consultations are $450 for 15 minutes to 50 minutes (professional 
hour). Please note that GST is added if product remains in Canada or is 
to be returned to Canada or a phone consultation is in Canada. ($472.50 
with GST for in person or if you are on the telephone in Canada)**/ 
/**/expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  service and 
This is not intended to be definitive but in general I am quoting $900 
to $3,000 for a dual country tax return.
$900 would be one T4 slip one W2 slip one or two interest slips and you 
lived in one country only (but were filing both countries) - no self 
employment or rentals or capital gains - you did not move into or out of 
the country in this year.
$1,200 would be the same with one rental
$1,300 would be the same with one business no rental
$1,300 would be the minimum with a move in or out of the country. These 
are complicated because of the back and forth foreign tax credits. - The 
IRS says a foreign tax credit takes 1 hour and 53 minutes.
$1,600 would be the minimum with a rental or two in the country you do 
not live in or a rental and a business and foreign tax credits  no move 
in or out
$1,700 would be for two people with income from two countries
$3,000 would be all of the above and you moved in and out of the country.
This is just a guideline for US / Canadian returns
We will still prepare Canadian only (lives in Canada, no US connection 
period) with two or three slips and no capital gains, etc. for _$200.00 
up._ However, if you have a stack of 1099, or T3 or T4A or T5 or K1 
reporting forms, expect to pay an average of $10.00 each with up to 
$50.00 for a K1 or T5013 or T5008 or T101 --- Income trusts with amounts 
in box 42 are an even larger problem and will be more expensive. - *i.e. 
20 information slips will be at least $350.00 *
With a Rental for $400, two or three rentals for $550 to $700 (i.e. $150 
per rental) First year Rental - plus $250.
A Business for $400 - Rental and business likely $550 to $700
And an American only (lives in the US with no Canadian income or filing 
period) with about the same things in the same range with a little bit 
more if there is a state return.
Moving in or out of the country or part year earnings in the US will 
ALWAYS be $900 and up.
TDF 90-22.1 forms are $50 for the first and $25.00 each after that 
when part of a tax return.
8891 forms are generally $50.00 to $100.00 each.
18 RRSPs would be $900.00 - (maybe amalgamate a couple)
Capital gains *sales)  are likely $50.00 for the first and $20.00 each 
after that.
*Catch - up returns for the US where we use the Canadian return as a 
guide for seven years at a time will be from $150 to $600.00 per year 
depending upon numbers of bank accounts, RRSP's, existence of rental 
houses, self employment, etc. Note that these returns tend to be 
informational rather than taxable.  In fact, if there are children 
involved, we usually get refunds of $1,000 per child per year for 3 
years.  We have done several catch-ups where the client has received as 
much as $6,000 back for an $1,800 bill and one recently with 6 children 
is resulting in over $12,000 refund. 
Email and Faxed information is convenient for the sender but very time 
consuming and hard to keep track of when they come in multiple files.  
As of May 1, 2008, we will charge or be charging a surcharge for 
information that comes in more than two files.  It can take us a 
valuable hour or more  to try and put together the file when someone 
sends 10 emails or 15 attachments, etc. We had one return with over 50 
faxes and emails for instance. 
This is a guideline not etched in stone.  If you do your own TDF-90 
forms, it is to your advantage. However, if we put them in the first 
year, the computer carries them forward beautifully.
--*IRS Circular 230 Disclosure:*  To ensure compliance with requirements 
imposed by the IRS, please be advised that any U.S. tax advice contained 
in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or 
written to be used or relied upon, and cannot be used or relied upon, 
for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue 
Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any 
transaction or matter addressed herein.--
-Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed 
information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general 
comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice 
in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader 
and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly 
denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and 
appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert 
help, assistance, preparation, or consultation  in connection with 
personal or business affairs such as at 
<> or  If you forward this 
message, this disclaimer must be included." *//*-
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.