moved to Florida and married American in June 2006 - international non-resident cross border income tax help estate family trust

QUESTION:HelloI am a 26 year old Canadian who has been residing in FL since June 2006. I married an American the following month.I have been umemployed since and am going to fill my Canadian taxes.Is it possible for someone in FL to file out my taxes for me...or do i have to travel back to Canada to do so.Thanks so muchI find your website very fasinating :)

david ingram replies:

Unless you have a rental house, you should not have to file a
Canadian tax return. If you have bank accounts or other interest ordividends froman investment account, the payers in Canda are supposedto be deducting 10% tax on interst and 15% tax on dividends.

We can do your returns for you by mail or email, fax or courier.

You should likely be filing a joint US 1040 with your spouse.

You do have to do a departing Canada return for 2006.

This other question might help.

[email protected]: Please see bottom of message if you wish to unsubscribe.------------------------------------------

QUESTION: Hi David,I am Canadian citizen, worked in Canada for the first 5 months of 2006. then moved to US and worked then for the rest of 2006. I have income from Canada employer, canadian bank and US employer. I filed tax return on my US income to IRS already. I haven't done canadian tax return yet. I had thought I only need to file canadian tax return on my canadian income. But it seems both CRA and IRS requested to report my world income to both. I am confused. What should I do to file the tax return to both?More specially, I received NR4 slip from CIBC bank. I could not find where to enter this form when I used can I enter US W2 form into any Canadian tax form?How can I enter T4 slip into US tax return form?thanks a lot!
david ingram replies:

An NR4 does not go on the Canadian return. It goes on Schedules B and1116 of the US return

The T4 does not go on the US return unless you are filing as a yearround resident as in 2 below.

I am too busy to come up with a new answer but this older one will giveyou an idea.

QUESTION: Hi David,I really need your help in filling U.S tax and I am getting mixed messages which forms to file. 
I am a Canadian Citizen in U.S on TN visa for more than a year. 
I have RRSP in canada over 10,000 put in fixed bond and saving account in a bank. 
What do I need to file here and what forms do I need to fill. 
Do I still have to file tax in Canada for canadian earning? Please help.
david ingram replies;

You need to file a departing Canada tax return and file T1161 if youleft more things than your RRSP behind. The Canadian return will onlyinclude Canadian earnings although if you had a Home Buyers Plan, it isall due and taxable on the departing Canada return unless you have paidit back.

For the US, you have two choices:

1. File a 1040NR dual status statement and a Dual Status 1040 IncomeTax return with no standard deduction


2. File a full 1040 which includes your Canadian income and gives youa full standard deduction and the right to file a joint return ifmarried. This is usually the best if you left Canada early in the yearas you did.

If you can't figure it out, file an extension form 4868 (find it at

and then send the information to us at the address in blue below tocomplete for you.
david ingram wrote:
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver, BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325

Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week Vancouver (LA) time - (please do not fax or phone outside of thosehours as this is a home office)
Disclaimer: This question has been answered without detailed information orconsultation and is to be regarded only as general comment. Nothingin this message is or should be construed as advice in any particularcircumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author andany and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readersshould obtain formal advice from a competent andappropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for experthelp, assistance, preparation, or consultation in connection withpersonal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must beincluded."
Be ALERT, the world needs more "lerts"
David Ingramgives expert income tax & immigration help to non-residentAmericans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico family, estate, income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out ofcountry investments are all handled with competence & authority.
Phone consultations are $400 for 15minutes to 50 minutes (professional hour). Please note that GST isadded if product remains in Canada or a phone consultation is in Canada.
This is not intended to be definitivebut in general I am quoting $800 to $2,800 for a dual country taxreturn.
$800 would be one T4 slip one W2 slipone or two interest slips and you lived in one country only - no selfemployment or rentals or capital gains - you did not move into or outof the country in this year.
$1,000 would be the same with onerental
$1,200 would be the same with onebusiness no rental
$1,200 would be the minimum with amove in or out of the country. These are complicated because of theback and forth foreign tax credits. - The IRS says a foreign tax credittakes 1 hour and 53 minutes.
$1,500 would be the minimum with arental or two in the country you do not live in or a rental and abusiness and foreign tax credits no move in or out

$1,600 would be for two people with income from two countries

$2,800 would be all of the above andyou moved in and out of the country.
This is just a guideline for US /Canadian returns
We will still prepare Canadian only(lives in Canada, no US connection period) with two or three slips andno capital gains, etc. for $150.00 up.
With a Rental for $350
A Business for $350 - Rental andbusiness likely $450
And an American only (lives in the USwith no Canadian income or filing period) with about the same things inthe same range with a little bit more if there is a state return.
Moving in or out of the country orpart year earnings in the US will ALWAYS be $800 and up.
TDF 90-22.1 forms are $50 for thefirst and $25.00 each after that when part of a tax return.
8891 forms are generally $50.00 to$100.00 each.
18 RRSPs would be $900.00 - (maybeamalgamate a couple)
Capital gains *sales) are likely$50.00 for the first and $20.00 each after that.
Just a guideline not etched instone.
This from "ask an income trusts tax and immigrationexpert" from or or David Ingramdeals on a daily basis with expatriate tax returns with multijurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems for theUnited States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United Kingdom, Kuwait,Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand,France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador,Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel,Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland,Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, VirginIslands, US, UK, GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns,etc. Rockwall, Dallas, San Antonio Houston, Denmark, Finland, SwedenNorway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration Tips, Income Tax Immigration Wizard Antarctica Rwanda Guru Consultant SpecialistSection 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate taxspecialist expert preparer expatriate anti money laundering moneyseasoning FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000cross border transactions Grand Cayman Aruba Zimbabwe South AfricaNamibia help USA US Income Tax Convention

David Ingramexpert income tax help and preparation of US CanadaMexico non-resident and cross border returns with rentaldividend wages self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits familyestate trust trusts income tax convention treaty

New York, Boston, Sacramento,Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Atlanta,Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers, Cape Coral,Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay, Minot,Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton,Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego,Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City,Tulsa, Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello,Bellingham, Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, KansasCity, Lawrence, Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris,Prince George, Prince Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks,Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon, Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West,Cape Coral, Fort Meyers, Berlin, Hamburg, Warsaw, Auckland,Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo,Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds, MedicineHat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Davidson,Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey,Edinburgh, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney,Nanaimo, Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne,Zurich, Kyoto, Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, BuenosAries, Squamish, Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne,Yorkshire, Hope, Penticton, Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge,Springfield, St Louis, Centralia, Bradford, Stratford on Avon, NiagaraFalls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St James, Red Deer, Drumheller,Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears, Truro, Charlottetown,Summerside, Niagara Falls, income trust, Income Tax Treaty Convention
international non-residentcross border income tax help estate family trust assistance expertpreparation & immigration consultant david ingram, income trustsexperts on rentals mutual funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorcepreparer preparers consultants Income Tax Convention Treaty
Alaska, Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District ofColumbia, Florida, Garland, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York,North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Rockwall, South Carolina, South Dakota,Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin,Wyoming, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario,Quebec City, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia,Newfoundland, Yukon and Northwest and Nunavit Territories, MountVernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland, Texas Taxman and Tax Guru and wizzard wizard - consultant - expert - advisor-advisors consultants - gurus - Paris Prague Moscow Berlin LimaRio de Janeiro, Santaigo Zimbabwe Income Tax Treaty Convention