eMail Article To a Friend View Printable Version

Part III - UK pension to Canadian RRSP

My husband had pensions transferred from UK to Canada (with Sun
Basically the rule at the time was if the pension was 'locked in'
in the UK,
then it had to be the same here in Canada. In our case; the
pension was one
which had been contributed to by employers as well as my husband.
A declaration of sorts was sent by the recipient account managers
here in
Canada (Trimark) to the UK Pension holder (Sun Life)
demonstrating that the
RRSP into which the funds would be transferred, was appropriate
I think the process took about two months in total.
Hope this helps!
Again - A person who did it.  Obviously you need an RRSP person
who can dig a bit but it can be done
thanks to my reader for a real life case.
And a reminder about Sunday's Radio Program -  Fred Snyder is
licenced to deal with these in Ontario and BC by the way.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free
on Air by david ingram on the last Sunday of each month.
On the last Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, I, david
ingram will be a guest on Fred Snyder of Dundee Wealth Managers'
LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the
internet at
Call (604) 280-0600 to have your question answered.  BC listeners
can also call 1-866-778-0600.
Callers to the show and questioners on this board can also attend
the Thursday Night seminars on finance and making your Canadian
Mortgage Interest deductible.
I will be at the seminar following the last Sunday of the month.
Is it possible to tranfer the value of UK Pension Plan to a
registered plan such as an RRSP?   IF so, can it be transferred
to an RRRSP
or does it have to be transferred to a Locked-In RRSP?
david ingram replies:
There is a provision to transfer a UK pension to a registered
plan in
Australia and there is a Canadian Provision to transfer a US
pension through
an IRA to a Canadian RRSP (the US does not recognize it) but in
my 43 years
in this business, I have never seen or heard of one transferring
a UK
pension to an RRSP.
However, I love learning something and will put this out to the
List and see if someone else knows of a method of doing so.
The US to Canada method involves paying tax on the IRA to the US
and then
making up the tax amount to have the full amount put into a
Canadian RRSP
where you then get a deduction and income amount that balance
themselves out
on the Canadian tax return.  You then do a foreign tax credit on
Canadian return by putting the taxable amount of the RRSP on line
433 and
the tax paid to the US on line 431 of schedule 1 of the T1
There may be a similar method with the UK pension.
Anyone else got an idea or done it - UK to Canadian RRSP?
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA)
time -
(please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a
home office)
email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed
information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.
Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the
author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance,
preparation, or
consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs
such as at <> . If you forward this
message, this
disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
 David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to
Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Saudi Arabia
to Mexico
to China or Chile - Cross border, dual citizen - out of country
are all handled w
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...