eMail Article To a Friend View Printable Version

Selling rental property in Canada -

Originally bought to live in (it's a retirement condo building--I bought one
unit)Four years ago.
My wife decided she was'nt ready to move in so we rented it out and I am
delclaring the rental income.
What is my tax obligation if I now sell it?
david ingram replies:
As described, the building would be a rental and investment property subject
to capital gains tax on sale.
That means that 50% of the profit is taxed on line 127 or your tax return
and if in joint tenancy, you would split it with your spouse.
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -
(please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or
consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at <> . If you forward this message, this
disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
international non-resident cross border income tax help assistance expert
preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, experts on rentals mutual
funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce preparer preparers consultants