US FICA - social security tax


My wife and I are Canadians living in the US since 1994, as physicians,
first on J-1 and H-1B visas, now both on O-1 visas. We have filed US taxes
every year since. Did we have to pay social security taxes? If we move back
to Canada can we recoup any of it?

david ingram replies:

When you were there on the J-1 visa, Social Security taxes could have been
waived. However, there is no doubt that you should have been paying Social
Security under the H and O classification.

Yes, you can collect US Social Security after returning to Canada.

There are some caveats however. Read the email that comes after this one
very carefully. It deals with a US clawback provision.

Glad to be of help if you need it.


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.