IRA & IRA Roth Moving to Canada - Expert Income Tax help on cross Border tax and immigration and divorce and RRSP and IRA an

On 15/10/2010 4:30 PM, xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote

Below is the result of your feedback form.  It was submitted by
xxxxxx on Friday, October 15, 2010 at 16:30:06

My_question_is: Both

question: I am an U.S. citizen and will be landing in Canada early in the new year and have been researching how I should handle my regular IRA & IRA Roth accounts (both relatively small; 25% in regular IRA & 75% in IRA Roth). From what I gather, I am advised to leave the IRAs in the U.S.

What I am unsure, however, is whether I would be subject to double taxation when I begin withdrawals from the regular IRA account?

Should I consolidate both in the IRA Roth account and pay taxes now?



david ingram replies:

Do not do anything.  In particular, do not make any contributions after coming to Canada.

Internal earnings of the Roth and the Traditional IRA are both exempt from Canadian tax under the US Canada Income Treaty.

An exception would be if the IRA or any other IRA is mandatory as part of your job.  If that is the case, any payments are deductible in Canada provided they qualify as a deduction in the USA.

If and when you do cash them in the ROTH  is tax free and the TRAD is taxable in b9th the US and Canada.  - Canada will give you credit for any tax you pay the US.

If you happen to return to the US without cashing them in, you will just carry on.


If your question was not answered fully or you wish to go further, I am available for individual consultations by phone or email or in person for $450 per professional hour. 

Please also note that we prepare Canadian, US, Australian, UK and New Zealand returns on a mail in, email, fax, snail mail or couriered basis. At any time, our clients are in 40 countries or more.  They have every occupation from nuclear Submarine captains to FedEx pilots to Major Bank officers to Politicians, Diplomats and border patrol officers.  My favourite, however, is a penguin catcher in Antarctica among others there..

If you 'really' only have a single question requiring a 'couple' of minutes, you can try phoning me for free as part of the following.

- For a quick free question

You might try calling Fred Snyder's radio program for an answer on a Sunday Morning.. 

Fred Snyder's  "IT'S YOUR MONEY" radio show. on CISL,  650 AM on the dial in Vancouver from 9 to 11:00 AM every Sunday  (604) 280-0650 or (877) 280-0650 - You can listen live from anywhere in the world at from anywhere in the world. click on the button in the top left hand corner.
You might try calling Fred Snyder's weekly radio programs for an answer. 

  1. Circular 230 Disclosure: Pursuant to recently-enacted US Treasury Dept. regulations, we are now required to advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the internal revenue code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

  2. Privileged and Confidentiality Notice: This electronic transmission (and/or the documents accompanying it) may contain confidential information belonging to the sender. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, electronic storing, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and immediately delete this record from your computer system.

Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at or  If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."

david ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325

Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office) expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  service help.
pert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  service and help.
David Ingram gives expert income tax service & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico  family, estate, income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.


The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Authored by: Anonymous User on Thursday, October 28 2010 @ 01:53 PM PDT IRA & IRA Roth Moving to Canada - Expert Income Tax help on cross Border tax and immigration and divorce and RRSP and IRA an
I have a federal corporation with a multiplex as its major asset (equity value about 150K + 150K unpaid loan). The other asset is roughly 50K in stocks and cash.
i) What is the best way to kill the corporation? ii) is it worth it?
[ # ]
Authored by: Anonymous User on Wednesday, July 06 2011 @ 02:04 AM PDT IRA & IRA Roth Moving to Canada - Expert Income Tax help on cross Border tax and immigration and divorce and RRSP and IRA an
Great post. As a Canadian who has been living & working in the US for 9+ years, I have often griped about the lack of Roth-like investment options in Canada. In the US, one has to choose between maintaining a _taxable_ cash “buffer” fund in addition to (or instead of) Roth account contributions. So, I see the flexibility of the TFSA as an improvement over the Roth (IRA & 401(k)) options available in the US. As I see it, the TFSA encourages investing for long-term growth not only by saving taxes on investment, but also by not penalizing early withdrawls to address short-term financial hardship without penalty. Way to go Canada! (FURTHER NOTE: One draw-back of moving back to Canada, is how Roth funds will be taxed. Up until now, there have been no “Roth-equivalent” accounts in Canada. So withdrawls from Roth accounts would be taxed as regular income. (This means a double-tax!) I hop that with the advent of the TFSA, there will now be some “equivalence” rules that will apply for returning Ex-Pats from the US who have Roth accounts. I shall wait and see.)
[ # ]