I am a U.S. citizen. I am staying in BC Canada now with my new Canadian wife. My problem is I came over on a visitors pass using my birth record and drivers license. I have had one 6 month extention of my temp pass already.

I am worried that if I cross over to get a passport I may not be allowed back.

My wife will sponsor me for perm. residence, but I don't want to give up my U.S. citizenship.

I understand BC has a relaxed view on labor permits. I am a handyman with good building and repair skills. Yet as I uderstand to do this I would have to apply outside of the country.

Do you have any advice on which way would be best to go

david ingram replies:

You can apply for your passport from Canada. You do not need to go to the US. US citizens renew and apply for their passports from every other country in the world. Go to the US Consulate at Thurlow and West Pender for an application.

Your wife should start the application process from within Canada for you as soon as possible. Her sponsorship, when approved, will allow you to work in Canada.

In the meantme you could get a job in Blaine or Bellingham and work there until your Canadian papers come through.

You might have a problem at the border but shouldn't if you get the sponsorship application in sooner rather than later.

You can start the process by going to:
This is a guide for sponsoring a US citizen spouse into Canada.
Publication 3910E
This is the application form to sponsor - form IMM-1344A

This is the sponsorship agreement - Form IMM-1344B

This is the Sponsorship Evaluation Form IMM-5481

This is a statutory declaration of a common-law marriage - FORM IMM-5409

This is the Sponsor Questionnaire - Form IMM-5540

This is an authority to release information - FORM IMM-5540

This is a document Checklist - Form IMM-5491

This is where you order your official receipt

This is your actual Application for Permanent Residence - FORM IMM-0008GEN

This is your Background Declaration - FORM IMM-008_1

This is your additional family information - FORM IMM-5406

This is your spouse or conjugal partner questionnaire -= FORM IMM-5490

14. The Above PLUS a police report from your local police station (See
the guide for details) applies to those being sponsored from the UNITED
STATES. There is a separate brochure for every country. If you are reading
this and are from any other country (Australia, Brunei, Austria, Venezuela,
etc) goto

14a for other country

This is the self-assessment test for an individual to determine his or her
eligibility to immigrate to Canada without being sponsored by a spouse.

David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver, BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325

Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week Vancouver (LA) time - (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)

email to [email protected]

Disclaimer: This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment. Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or consultation in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."

Be ALERT, the world needs more "lerts"