PR returning to USA - ask an income tax and immigration

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
I am a US citizen and have been a Landed Immigrant in Canada for 30 yrs.  Now that I have retired, I am planning to re-establish my residency in the US.  I have tried to contact CIC, but cannot find a way to talk with a human, as opposed to the "canned" messages on the telephone; their website did not help me either.  When I physically went to Canada Customs and Revenue Agency, an agent there told me to stop filing Canadian taxes.  
I am unclear as to how valid the above information is.  Would you please clarify what do I need to do regarding Canadian taxes and immigration prior to moving? 
david ingram replies:
Whatever you do, do NOT return to the US before you take out Canadian Citizenship.  You may well decide that you want to return to Canada in four or five years and it will be too late.  
Canadian Citizenship first, then leave. Canadian citizenship information is at:
AFTER you have your citizenship, you just go.  
On your final tax return in Canada, you will put your departure date on the front of the return (pick up a T1 General at your local post office to see where) and pro-rate your personal exemption amounts by the number of days you were in Canada in that year.
Then you will have to file a T1161 which lists all your capital assets as you leave the country.  You will also have to fill in form T1243 to calculate and deemed sales and departure tax and form T13244 to decide if you have to post security or pay tax or are exempt.
This is the T1161
This is the form to calculate the tax on the T1161
This is the form that defers tax on the deemed disposition
Once you are back in the states, your Canadian financial accounts become "foreign" accounts and require TD F-90 forms and special RRSP reporting on a form which has not been designed and released yet, even though it was announced back in December 2003.
Your Canadian Accounts require TD F-90 forms and your RRSP's require special reporting as well. We would start by filing an extension for the US return - form 4868.
The TD F-90 form can be found at:
Glad to help you with your returns when you leave.  You might also want to buy an hour of my time by phone consultation.  Not until May now, please!
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet at 
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - There is a provincial long distance line as well and old shows are archived at the site.
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert consultant guru or preparer  from or or Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist specialists  consultants taxmen   taxman tax woman planner planning preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, 
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,  
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida, 
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
  Indiana  Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky, 
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland  
 Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,  
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, 
New Mexico,New York, North Carolina,  
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon. 
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, 
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,  
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, 
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, 
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, 
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, 
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, 
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and 
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay 
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland 
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard 
wizard - David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."
Your name has been added to our email list because of an enquiry we have received,  we may not answer your question but 
another similar question will be as we lump them.
You may find more answers at
If the number of messages is too many for you or the US / Canada Taxation and Immigration information is not of interest, simply  reply with a remove request.
David Ingram of the CEN-TA REALTY  Group
US / Canada / Mexico tax and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver, BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
(604) 980-0321 - Fax 913-9123
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment--


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.