Fix up expenses for a rental house in Canada - are they

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
My question is: Canadian-specific
QUESTION: A client and his father own a home.  In 2002 they renovated/repaired the home to make it available for rent in 2003.
Can they claim the expenses incurred in 2002 (capital & current) against the rental income earned in 2003.  There were also utility costs/property taxes/house insurance costs from 2002 to keep the house heated, insured & taxes up to date.  Can these be claimed in 2002??
What about a home office that the son uses in his own residence to do his paperwork etc. for the rental?
Much appreciated. 
david ingram replies
Good question and a common one.  
If the house was not rented prior to your expenditures, every cent spent while getting it ready to rent is applied to capital and can NOT be deducted against other income.
This means that you add the value of your repairs and improvements to the cost of the house.  The total value can then be depreciated under class 1 at 4% per year on the diminishing balance up to the amount of rental profit.  In other words, in Canada, you can NOT use depreciation (or as the CRA calls it,  Capital Cost Allowance or CCA) to create or increase a rental loss.
Record keeping offices for  the rental of a single property is not a deduction unless it is your principal place of business and you have clients to your office.  
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet at 
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - There is a provincial long distance line as well and old shows are archived at the site.
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert consultant guru or preparer  from or or Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist specialists  consultants taxmen   taxman tax woman planner planning 
Fred Snyder and I are giving a free seminars on making your CANADIAN mortgage interest tax deductible at our new office at 1764 West 7th in Vancouver.
When:   Every Thursday Night
Time:      7 to 9 PM
RSVP:     phone (604) 731-8900 to reserve (limited to 15 people)
My time is still spent at 
108-100 Park Royal South
West Vancouver, BC
(604) 980-0321
david ingram
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment--


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.