Daycare house in Canada (and USA)- is any part of the

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
My question is: Canadian-specific
QUESTION: My wife runs a Licensed Day Care in our house.  We have looking to sell the house and buy a home with more bedrooms to accomodate our growing family.  My wife will continue to run her Day Care but in the new home.  Does she have to pay any taxes on the money we may make from the sale of our house?  I hear something about a "clawback clause."  What is that?
Thanks in advance
david ingram replies:
Bulletin 120R6 refers to major structural changes to a house used for business as creating a tax liability.  
Therefore the bulletin infers that the sale of a duplex or a triplex will be taxable because there are separate entrances, etc.
The Bulletin also infers that the rental of a couple of rooms to students or the use of the home as an office will not trigger a capital gain.  HOWEVER, the Bulletin is only a bulletin and an "interpretation" - It is NOT law.
Law is  Section 54(g) of the Income Tax, which allows a house and up to a 1/2 hectare to be sold capital gains tax free if used as your principal residence.
And the sale of a triplex has been ruled tax free in the Fedel Saccomono case. 
In my opinion, the Saccomano case makes you tax free on the sale of your house.  In his case, he rented out two thirds of a  triplex.  The judge ruled that since he had bought the house to live in and the suites were a mortgage helper, the whole triplex was capital gains tax free.
Do NOT claim depreciation or CCA.  Glad to help you with the returns by the way. 
To repeat, 
In 1986, Fedel Saccomanno won the sale of his home as a tax free capital gain as his principal residence. He had bought a triplex with two units rented out, and lived in the third unit with his wife on weekends when he was not teaching at the University of Waterloo. When he did not get tenure at Waterloo, and sold the property, DNR tried to tax two-thirds of the profits. Judge Taylor ruled that the entire triplex was tax free, giving credence to my claim in my Investment Guide. In the Investment Guide, I suggest that people with duplexes and triplexes should claim the whole building tax free in spite of the fact that Bulletins IT 120R2 and R3 stated that half a duplex and two thirds of a triplex would be taxable. 
NOTE that in the USA, claiming the share of the house as a daycare deduction DOES  - absolutely no exceptions - make the house taxable  In my opinion, with 100% of taxes and mortgage interest deductible already, most (if not all) US taxpayers should NOT be dedcuting an office or studio, etc in their home.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier Partners and I are hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet at 
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert consultant guru or preparer  from or or Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist specialists  consultants taxmen   taxman tax woman planner planning preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, 
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,  
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida, 
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
  Indiana  Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky, 
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland  
 Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,  
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,  
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, 
New Mexico,New York, North Carolina,  
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon. 
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, 
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,  
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, 
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, 
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, 
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, 
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, 
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and 
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,  
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay 
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland 
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard 
wizard - David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
---------------------- multipart/alternative attachment--


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.