Living in Canada & Working in USA Ask a cross-border

I live in Windsor, Ontario and work for an automotive company in Michigan,
USA.  Since I work in USA I pay both Federal and State Taxes in the US.  Do
I also need to file taxes in Canada?  If so, how will that work in terms of
Federal and Provincial Taxs.  What rates will apply?
david ingram replies:
Hopefully this answer to a prior similar question will assist you and of
course I WOULD BE PLEASED TO look after your Canadian, Michigan and US
returns by email, snail mail, fax or courier.
Dear Sirs/Madams,
I would thank you and appreciate your valuable piece of advice  on the
I have got an offer from an US company to work for them as a System Analyst
on contract basis in Dearborn, Michigan.  The initial duration would be 9
months.  It might get extended or might not be extended, depending on the
I will be relocating form Toronto to Windsor, Ontario and commute daily to
work in Michigan and come back home in the evening.
I am a Canadian Citizen.  I will be working under TN1 visa for my prospect
employer in US.  I already have my corporation operating in Canada.
My prospect employer is willing
a) either to pay net amount after the US tax deductions as monthly salary
for my service in US (ie. W2 BASIS ) OR
b) to remit money to my corporation in Canada without any tax deduction
(corp 2 corp basis), where as an employee of my corporation I would draw the
salary and pay taxes in Canada.
I don't have any thing connected in US such as mailing address or car etc.
I would be a daily  a commuter to US from morning 9 to 5 pm.
1) Can I choose option # B, ie.
b) remit money to my corporation in Canada without any US tax deduction,
where as an employee of my corporation I would draw the salary and pay taxes
in Canada.
2) Would the above option is legal under TN-1 Visa and Canada/US treaty.
I would appreciate your answer on the above and thank you in anticipation.
david ingram replies:
Your first liability is to the United States and Michigan.  Your "second"
liability is to Canada because you will be living in Canada.
Your corporation can NOT be paid.  You do not have a visa to work for your
Canadian Corporation in the United States.
Your best bet is to be paid on a W-2 slip and pay the US taxes.  Do NOT
participate in a 401(K)_ plan.  If they have one into which they deposit
money on your behalf (matching funds), have them pay you the extra directly.
Then you can buy a Canadian RRSP when you file your Canadian return.  After
calculating the US taxes, you will file your Canadian return and claim
credit for  any taxes paid for Social Security, Michigan and US Federal
taxes.  You will have more tax to pay to Canada.
If you are a married man and moving to Windsor so that your wife can
continue to work in Canada, you would pay less tax by moving to Michigan and
having your wife commute back to Canada.  That way, you would get to file a
joint return in the US at a lower tax rate. Your wife's income would also be
included on the US return but there would be a foreign tax credit for the
taxes already paid to Canada.
Of course, if the job was only for 9 months, you would have another moving
expense which would eat up the immediate tax savings so your present course
of action is likely okay.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air
every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier
Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - Long distance calls to 1-866-778-0600.
Old shows are archived at the site.
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert
consultant guru or preparer  from or or Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns
dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for
the United States, Canada Mexico Great Britain the United Kingdom, Kuwait,
Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,
Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia,
Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana,
Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok,
Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,,
Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the
43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist
specialists  consultants taxmen taxman tax woman planner planning
preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida,
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
 Indiana Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky,
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland  Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard -
 David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321
davidingram at
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or
advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration
specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be
ask an International  real estate mutual funds immigration income tax expert
experts - David Ingram 's CENTA Services in North Vancouver BC Canada AM600
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.7.2 - Release Date: 1/21/05
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.7.2 - Release Date: 1/21/05


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.