condo purchase in Montreal income tax,

My_question_is: Applicable to both US and Canada
Subject:        condo purchase in Montreal
Expert:         taxman at
Date:           Saturday February 26, 2005
Time:           09:10 AM -0800
I am considering buying a condo in Montreal for my daughter to live in while
she goes to Concordia. Do you have any good web sites for me to get info on
tax imlications, or whether I am better off with a Canadian mortgage, or pay
david ingram replies:
The following questions I answered in the past should help you.  If your
daughter is just living in it, you do not have any need to file a Canadian
Tax return.
If it was in her name and she was a Canadian resident for the two years and
it went up in value, it would be tax free for both countries.
If you pay cash, and consider yourself to have loaned the money to your
daughter, you will not have to worry about gift tax and she can pay you back
when she sells it.
Unfortunately, there is a possibility of gift tax or imputed interest if you
are not careful.  Basically, you can loan your daughter up to $100,000 US
with no imputed interest provided your daughter does NOT have investment
income of  $1,000 or more.  And the loan should be a demand loan.  And you
need to have a financial statement from your daughter showing that she is
solvent and will be paying you back in the future.  A General imputed rate
could be as high as 5% so if you do not watch out, you could be paying tax
on $5,000 have been considered to be "giving" her the interest you are not
If you are married, your wife can also loan her $100,000 under the same set
of rules. That should make up enough to buy the apartment and get two
one - you do not have to pay tax on any earnings from the money and
two your daughter will make any increase in value tax free up to $250,00 US.
I am putting this out to my email list in case someone wants to tell me that
the $100,000 loan cap has been raised or lowered or that some other thing
has come up that I have not covered such as a change in imputed interest
rate, etc.
Note that if you loan your daughter more than $100,000 individually, you
will have an imputed interest which I think is about 5% at the moment.
You and your wife can also give her $11,000 each as well.
read the following for some other ideas.
As a US citizen, if I put out to rent an apartment that I own in Montreal do
I have any obligation to file an NR6 or to withhold taxes from the rent? Do
I have any obligation to advise my tenant to withhold taxes? If I do
neither, will I incur any penalty when I file my annual tax return in Canada
reflecting my small gain/loss on the property?
david ingram replies:
It is your responsibility to arrange for an agent although I did a return
for a fellow from LA this week.  He has owned a rental in North Vancouver
for some 22 years without ever having filed an NR-6.  The CRA has slipped in
not getting on top of it.
If you file your section 216(4) return on time you will be allowed to deduct
the expenses.  If you are more than two years late, Canada will tax you on
the gross at 25% and not allow you any deductions (In the same situation in
the US, the penalty is 30% of the gross with no deductions).
I am going to reproduce another Montreal question I had a few months ago.
QUESTION: We understand that there is a 25% tax on
gross rent from investment properties
owned by non-Canadians who have not
filed their proper forms.  We were
ignorant and knew not of what we were
doing when we bought our rental
property... which runs at a loss.  In
Montreal the bienvenue tax is over six-
thousand dollars (this is the tax all new
home-owners must pay in Montreal).
Can we deduct this as a tax item on our
federal return this year?  Next year we will
have to be sure to fill out all the proper
paperwork.... Thanks for your response.
david ingram replies
The 25% tax is a withholding tax, not a tax if you get the proper return in
within 24 months.  You will have to pay the 25% first, but if we file a
return under Section 216(4) with the proper whining letter, you will get it
back if you actually lost money in the rental. In fact, the 2003 216(4)
return is not actually due until June 30, 2004 so we do not even need a
whining letter if you get it (the financial figures) here in the next ten
I would be happy to look after this for you because it is a sort of
specialty.  All together, we likely prepare over 200 non-resident tax
returns for Canadians with US property or Americans with Canadian Property.
Throw in a couple of Germans, a couple of Australians, a Spaniard, Italian,
Swede and New Zealanders and even an Antarctica worker and you can see that
doing it by mail is simple.  An advantage of our doing it is that we can
also prepare the US and State return with the proper tax credits and you do
not need to try an train a local accountant.  (It can take 20 to 30 hours to
figure it out the first time).
And, if you have a local accountant that you really want to use, we prepare
a dummy US return with all the proper figures in the right place so that
your accountant can just plug in the figures without having to work at it.
Let me know if I can help.
The Bienvenue Tax is considered a capital addition to the cost of the
building.  We have a PPT (property purchase tax) in BC with the same
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air
every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier
Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - Long distance calls to 1-866-778-0600.
Old shows are archived at the site.
income tax, real estate & immigration experts david ingram & mutual funds
expert Fred Snyder on CKBD 600AM Sundays at 9:00 AM
<>  international preparers consultants preparer
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert
consultant guru or preparer  from or or Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns
dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for
the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom,
Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt,
Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy,
Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii,
Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan,
Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St
Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and
Mexican and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist
specialists  consultants taxmen   taxman tax woman planner planning preparer
of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida,
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
  Indiana  Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky,
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland
 Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321
davidingram at
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or
advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration
specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 266.5.0 - Release Date: 2/25/05
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 266.5.0 - Release Date: 2/25/05


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.