Australian / US International tax question ask an

Cc: taxman at; tax at
Subject: International tax question
I have a question which I hope you can answer and then I would proceed
to use your services if required.
I found you through Google, and notice you offer international tax
accounting/help. I was wondering if you could help me with this
1. If I am a resident of Australia, which states all income of that
citizen must be declared worldwide, and I have a US corporation, do I
have to file a tax return in my country and report earnings for the US
corporation or would I only file a tax return based on how much money
I take out and pay myself from the US corporation?
Is it right to assume the following?
1. I would need to file a tax return for my US corporation with the
IRS, but would not require to file a tax return for this US
corporation to my home country, since technically this US corporation
is a US resident and not a resident of Australia.
2. However, I would need to file a PERSONAL tax return if I decide to
pay myself a salary from the US corporation? (e.g. director's wage,
I have been to various CPAs in Australia and they have no idea about
US policies, I really hope you can give me some insight and would like
to thank you in advance for offering any advice.
Some other details regarding the US corporation:
* All sales/income come from US and worldwide customers via the
Internet, less than 1% from home country Australia.
* Funds/Money is deposited into US bank account under US corporation name
* US corporation has mailing address which then forwards mail to home
country Australia
* Technically US corporation does all business in the USA, only
directors/founder working for corporation are located in Australia.
This is what the Australian taxation site says:
"While some types of income are exempt from tax, and certain
categories of people or entities need not pay tax, in general,
residents of Australia are liable for tax upon their worldwide income.
Others are liable upon their income with an Australian source."
Another CPA in Australia says:
"Many Australian citizens receive income from overseas in the way of
pensions, interest dividends and rental income. The ATO is active in
ensuring this income is declared, as it is assessable in Australia.
All Australian residents for tax purposes are required to declare
their worldwide income in their Australian tax return."
I understand the above talks about "Australian citizen" however a US
corporation cannot be deemed an Australian citizen can it? Only if the
corporation pays salary to one of its Australian citizens, can that be
assumed income which needs to be declared in that citizen's personal
tax return in Australia?? The US corporation does not need to file a
tax return in Australia, does it?
Best Regards,
Thank you.
david ingram replies:
You would file a US 1120 Corporate Income tax return and pay tax to the US
on any profits.
If you pay money to yourself, there is no US tax on your wages or earnings
because you are not performing ANY services in the USA.
You have to pay attention to US Form 5472 which must be filed when a
foreigner owns 25% or more of a US corporation.
Find the form at
Note that the minimum penalty for failure to file form 5472 is $10,000 US.
You must file an Australian Corporation tax return as well.
Mind AND control of your company is in Australia.
Remember that I am in Canada.  However, I have lectured on Canadian / US /
Australian Tax (back in 1981) in Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney.
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
(604) 980-0321
New email to davidingram at <mailto:davidingram at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist in connection with personal or business
affairs such as at <> . If you forward
this message, this disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air
every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, I, david ingram am a
permanent guest on Fred Snyder of Dundee Wealth Managers' LIVE talk show
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet
at <>
Call (604) 280-0600 to have your question answered.  BC listeners can also
call 1-866-778-0600.
Callers to the show and questioners on this board can also attend the
Thursday Night seminars on finance and making your Canadian Mortgage
Interest deductible.
This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from
<>  or <>  or <> . David Ingram deals on a
daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the
United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait,
Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia,
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran,
India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK,
GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio and Houston Texas
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration
Tips, Income Tax and Immigration Wizard Income Tax and Immigration Guru
Income Tax and Immigration Consultant Income Tax  and Immigration Specialist
Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist
expert preparer consultant expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning
FINTRAC E677 E667 4789 4790 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.