Moving back to Canada from the United States. -

Hi David,
I have one and possibly two offers that may see me moving back to Canada in the next few months. Now that I have all my paperwork in order to pay taxes only in the US, I was wondering if you could tell me what the implications and necessary work will be to make the shift back?  
I am uncertain as to what happens with my IRA account and my regular trading account with Ameritrade. I think they will suggest they transfer the regular account to Ameritrade Canada, but I'm not sure what happens with the IRA account.
Finally...I am curious about the sale of my house and the interim period when I leave my employer and the H-1B visa, but continue to live in the US (and possibly cross the border on a house shopping trip) during the last couple of weeks here? Will I run into issues with Customs and Immigration?
One more Q for you...given the same salary in both AB and ON...let's say 100k, what would the difference in taxes paid come year end?
Any comments/advice are appreciated.
Todd Zazelenchuk
todd at
david ingram replies:
Remember this is not perfect by any means BUT, 
1.    Your IRA is safe in the USA.  My suggestion is that you leave it there even though I think that in the short term our dollar will continue to rise relative to the US dollar. In the long term, it is likely that the US dollar will be higher and it will mean that you have some money diversified one of the stronger economies in the world.
2.    Move your accoun to Ameritrade Canada.
3.    Provided you have lived in the  house for 24 months, any profit up to $250,000 an owner is tax free.  If you (or anyone else) is having to sell and move sooner than the 24 months, then you get to pro-rate the $250,000 by the number of months you are in it.    i.e. 12 months equals $125,000 tax free.
4.    Once you quit your job, theH1B is automatically cancelled. In a perfect world, you would contact a local Homeland Security Office - WWW.USCIS.GOV - US Citizenship and immigration Services - and explain that you are quitting and that you need time to sell the house. they will / should change your status to a B2 visitor.
With regards to the $100,000 income with no RRSP, Pension Plan, medical, charitable or other deductions, the 2004 federal tax is the same for every province at $19,401.49
Nunavit is                         $ 6,026.05
Alberta's is                        $ 8,305.93
Yukon Territories is           $ 8,663.48
Northwest Territories is      $ 8,679.86
BC's Provincial Tax is                 $ 8,967.25
Ontario is                          $10,550.06
Saskatchewan is                 $11,081.40
New Brunswick is              $12,768.59
Manitoba is                        $13,127.09
Nova Scotia is                    $13,324.78
PEI is                                $13,454.91
Newfoundland is                $14,852.00
My computer does not have  a Quebec program installed but the rest were fun to do. I have not bothered doing that for ten years.
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air
every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Dundee Wealth
Management and I, David Ingram  host a LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet
at <>
Local calls are taken at (604) 280-0600 and Long Distance calls are taken at
1( 866) 778-0600
Callers to the show are invited to attend free seminars on financial
planning with such specialities as deductible mortgage interest. They are
held at Fred Snyder's Office at 1764 West 7th in Vancouver - (604) 731-8900
for more information.
David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from
<>  or <>  or <> . David Ingram deals on a
daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the
United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, Kuwait,
Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia,
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran,
India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK,
GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio and Houston Texas
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration
Tips, Income Tax and ImmigrationWizard Income TaAlaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavut Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo
==New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia,
Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers,
Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay,
Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton,
Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego,
Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa,
Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham,
Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence,
Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George, Prince
Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon,
Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin,
Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing,
Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds,
Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portag
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.