Part II - UK England GB British resident with work

If there is one thing I like, it is when someone contributes and adds to an
answer with specifics.  Don Cameron is a former Canadian Consul in Seattle
and was with Canadian Immigration in places like Beijing, Kenya and
Jerusalem.  He wrote the Canadian Immigration's Internal Newsletter for
years.  Don points out the actual sections to use when applying at the
-----Original Message-----
From: Donald Cameron [mailto:cameron at]
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2006 7:49 AM
To: taxman at; centapede at
Subject: Re:  UK England GB British resident with work
permits forCanada - David Ingram expert income tax help and
preparationof US Canada non-resident and cross border returns withrental
dividend wages self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits
While not all applicants for Work Permits can apply for them at Ports of
Entry to Canada, those who are entitle to do so are described in the IRPR
"Application on entry
198. (1) Subject to subsection (2), a foreign national may apply for a work
permit when entering Canada if the foreign national is exempt under Division
5 of Part 9 from the requirement to obtain a temporary resident visa.
(2) A foreign national may not apply for a work permit when entering Canada
(a) a determination under section 203 is required, unless
(i) the Department of Human Resources Development has provided an opinion
under paragraph 203(2)(a) in respect of an offer of employment -- other than
seasonal agricultural employment or employment as a live-in caregiver -- to
the foreign national, or
(ii) the foreign national is a national or permanent resident of the United
States or is a resident of Greenland or St. Pierre and Miquelon;
(b) the foreign national does not hold a medical certificate that they are
required to hold under subsection 30(4); or
(c) the foreign national is a participant in an international youth exchange
program, unless they are a national or permanent resident of the United
States or their application for a work permit was approved before their
entry into Canada. SOR/2004-167, s. 54."
When applying at a Port of Entry applicants must be prepared to show
documents establishing that they meet the requirements of the position they
have been offered - such as the education or experience required.  In other
words, the same procedure as if they were applying for entry to the U.S. as
a NAFTA Professional.
Best regards,
----- Original Message -----
From: <centapede at>
To: "CENTAPEDE" <centapede at>; "Webmaster at Jurock. Com"
<webmaster at>
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:26 PM
Subject:  UK England GB British resident with work permits
forCanada - David Ingram expert income tax help and preparationof US Canada
non-resident and cross border returns withrental dividend wages
self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits
> cameron at Please see bottom of message if you wish to > unsubscribe.  If you are new to the list, you were probably added because > you sent a question to taxman at, posted a question online at > or possibly at > ------------------------------------------ > > QUESTION: I have friends from the UK who will have their work permit > papers > approved in Canada and sent to the UK to be processed (takes 6 months). > Somewhere I read that if the papers are already approved in Canada they > can > fly in and have the papers processed upon their arrival instead of having > them processed in the UK before they can leave.  Is there any information > to > support what i read and is there anyone to contact so we can figure out > that > portion of the process??  Thank you. > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------- -
> david ingram replies > > I am so busy that I turned your question over to xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx who has > just > graduated as an Immigration Practitioner from UBC (although her licence > has > not come through yet). xxxxxxxx is from the UK and is intending to > specialize > in UK to Canada Immigration. It does not answer your question specifically > because she does not know what level your friends are coming under but > should help. > --------------------- > Her answer > > Depending on the nature of work intended, there are three ways to work > temporarily in Canada: > (a) work which doesn't require a work permit, > (b) a work permit issued after receiving Human Resources and Skills > Development Canada (HRSDC) confirmation, and > (c) a work permit which doesn't require an HRSDC confirmation. > > The process varies for each type and this is where you will have read > differing information. I suggest that the type of work permit desirable > for > a fellow Brit might be one that will give points in a future skilled > worker > application.  A British citizen does NOT require a temporary resident > visa. > > Theoretically they could get on a plane and request a work permit, but > permission is not guaranteed.  Also you can't enter Canada as a visitor > and > then change to a work permit. > > Upon receipt of an acceptance of an offer of employment, an employer > requests HRSDC to approve the job offer by issuing a confirmation letter. > The employer notifies the prospective employee of the receipt of the HRSDC > approval so that the employee may apply for a work permit outside Canada. > If successful the employee will receive a letter of approval. > > The British citizen will come to a port of entry with the letter of > approval > where they will usually issue a Work Permit.  On arrival they must meet > the > following requirements: have a valid passport for the duration of their > intended stay; satisfy required criminal, security and medical checks; > demonstrate enough money to be self-sufficient and satisfy the port of > entry > officer that they will leave Canada at the end of their employment. > > They should bring with them all their documents so far, including the job > offer, their resume (CV), evidence of past relevant employment experience, > HRSDC information etc. > > The risk is that they may arrive at the port of entry expecting to be > issued > with a work permit and be refused.  With legal representation from a > lawyer > or a licensed practitioner a package of all your documents can be > forwarded > to the destination port a couple of weeks ahead of the arrival date.  This > doesn't guarantee the issuance of a Work Permit but it mitigates the risk. > > A work permit usually specifies a particular job and duration.  Spouses > and > common-law partners of temporary skilled workers may apply for a work > permit > without a job offer or HRSDC confirmation.  This is in anticipation of you > making Canada your destination of choice because your partner can work as > well. > > xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
 > ------------------------------------- > > David Ingram's US/Canada Services > US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists > US / Canada Real Estate Specialists > Home office at: > 4466 Prospect Road > North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7 > Cell (604) 657-8451 - > (604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325 > > Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week (please do not fax or > phone > outside of those hours as this is a home office) > > email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> > <> > <> > > Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information > or > consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in > this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular > circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and > any > and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should > obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal > practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, > or > consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at > <> . If you forward this message, this > disclaimer must be included." > > > Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts" > > This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from > <>  or <>  or > <> . David Ingram deals on a > daily basis with expatriate tax returns with: > multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the > United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United Kingdom, Kuwait, > Dubai, > Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France, > Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, > Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, > India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, > Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, > GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, > Dallas, > San Antonio Houston > Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and > Immigration > Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica Rwanda Guru  Consultant > Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate > tax > specialist expert preparer expatriate anti money laundering money > seasoning > FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border > transactions > Grand Cayman Aruba Zimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US > > Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona, > California,  Colorado, Connecticut, > Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida, > Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois, > Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky, > Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland, > Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, > Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska, > Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey, > New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, > North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon. > Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall, > South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, > Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia, > West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, > British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, > Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City, > New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, > Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and > Northwest and Nunavit Territories, > Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay > and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland > Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard > wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - > Paris > Prague Moscow Berlin > Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo Zimbabwe > New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia, > Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers, > Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay, > Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, > Moncton, > Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego, > Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa, > Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham, > Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence, > Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George, > Prince > Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon, > Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers, > Berlin, > Hamburg > Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing, > Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, > Olds, > Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, > Davidson, > Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Edinburgh, > Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney, Nanaimo, > Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich, Kyoto, > Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries, Squamish, > Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope, > Penticton, > Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis, > Centralia, > Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St > James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears, > Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, Albany Zimbabwe > > international non-resident cross border income tax help assistance expert > preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, experts on rentals > mutual > funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce preparer preparers consultants > > > > > > > ----------------------------------------------------------------- > List-Unsubscribe: > mailto:centapede-request at > > > > -- > No virus found in this incoming message. > Checked by AVG Free Edition. > Version: 7.1.375 / Virus Database: 267.14.23/240 - Release Date: > 25/01/2006 > 
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.375 / Virus Database: 267.14.23/240 - Release Date: 25/01/2006
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.375 / Virus Database: 267.14.23/240 - Release Date: 1/25/06


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.