Canadian citizenship after living

My_question_is: Applicable to both US and Canada
Subject:        canadian citizenship
Expert:         taxman at
Date:           Monday June 26, 2006
Time:           02:59 PM -0700
Hi David,
My wife is an american citizen and a canadian permanent resident. She wants
to apply for canadian citizenship on her 3 year anniversary and we then
planned to move to the states. Well it turns out the application process
takes 12-15 months!!! Do you know if she can apply before we leave for the
US and then still get her citizenship even after we have moved south?
Yuor help is much appreciatted!
david ingram replies:
Well, you know where to come or send your US and Canadian returns to for the
year you leave the country and I hope your wife has kept her US returns up
to date because she has to continue to file a US return for every year she
lives in Canada.
I have asked xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx, a member of CSIC to answer the Citizenship
question for you.
Yes, this is possible.
Applicants must meet the citizenship requirements the day before filing and
must not lose permanent residence status anytime before being granted
To become a Canadian Citizen, you must be:
·	18 years or older
·	a permanent resident of Canada
·	living in Canada for at least 3 of 4 years before applying; that would be
1095 days physically in Canada during the four years prior to the date of
·	speak English or French
·	know about Canada
·	know about the rights and responsibilities of citizenship
Between the ages of 18 and 54, the applicant must take a citizenship test.
You cannot become a Canadian Citizen if you:
·	are under a removal order
·	are now charged with an indictable criminal offence
·	have been convicted of an indictable criminal offence in the last three
·	are now in prison, on parole, or on probation
·	have been investigated for or been convicted of war crimes
·	had your citizenship revoked in the last 5 years
Any day during which an applicant for citizenship resided with the applicant
’s spouse or common-law partner who at the time was a Canadian Citizen and
was employed outside Canada in or with the Canadian Armed Forces or the
public service of Canada or of a province, otherwise than as a locally
engaged person, shall be treated as the equivalent to one day of residence
in Canada.
To maintain permanent residence:
For 730 days in the five year period immediately prior to examination, a
permanent resident must be physically in Canada, or be outside Canada
accompanying a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident, who is their spouse
or common-law partner, or be outside Canada employed by a Canadian business
or in the public service of Canada or of a province, or it is determined by
an officer that there are sufficient humanitarian and compassionate
considerations related to permanent residence taking into account the best
interests of a child directly affected by the decision.
You don’t say if you are a Canadian Citizen, but I will assume that you are.
Therefore, providing that your wife meets the requirements for Citizenship
and has no reason to prevent Citizenship, and providing she meets the
permanent residence requirements which includes being outside Canada with
you, she can leave Canada after applying for Citizenship.  Of course, there
isn’t a lot of notice given to sit the Citizenship Test so practically
speaking a degree of flexibility will be required on her part.  I hope this
is helpful and please advise if you have further questions.
No one should rely solely on this information.  Readers should obtain formal
advice from either a Certified Canadian Immigration Consultant or
Immigration Lawyer.  Please see the disclaimer below. ----------------------------------------------
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -
(please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to taxman at <mailto:taxman at> <>
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or
consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in
this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular
circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any
and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should
obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal
practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or
consultation  in connection with personal or business affairs such as at <> . If you forward this message, this
disclaimer must be included."
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident
Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Saudi Arabia to Mexico
to China or Chile - Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments
are all handled with competence & authority.
Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
California,  Colorado, Connecticut,
Delaware, District of Columbia,  Florida,
Garland, Georgia,  Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
Indiana,  Iowa,  Kansas,  Kentucky,
Louisiana,  Maine,  Maryland,
Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota,
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee,
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories,
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard - consultant - expert - advisor -advisors consultants - gurus - Paris
Prague Moscow Berlin
Lima Rio de Janeiro, Santaigo Zimbabwe
 David Ingram expert income tax help and preparation of US Canada Mexico
non-resident and cross border returns with rental dividend wages
self-employed and royalty foreign tax credits
New York, Boston, Sacramento, Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia,
Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers,
Cape Coral, Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay,
Minot, Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton,
Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego,
Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City, Tulsa,
Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello, Bellingham,
Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, Kansas City, Lawrence,
Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris, Prince George, Prince
Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon,
Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West, Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin,
Warsaw, Auckland, Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing,
Shanghai, Tokyo, Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds,
Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Davidson,
Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Edinburgh,
Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney, Nanaimo,
Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne, Zurich, Kyoto,
Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, Buenos Aries, Squamish,
Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne, Yorkshire, Hope, Penticton,
Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge, Springfield, St Louis, Centralia,
Bradford, Stratford on Avon, Niagara Falls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St
James, Red Deer, Drumheller, Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears,
Truro, Charlottetown, Summerside, Niagara Falls, Albany Zimbabwe
international non-resident cross border income tax help assistance expert
preparation & immigration consultant david ingram, experts on rentals mutual
funds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce preparer preparers consultants
This from "ask an income tax and immigration expert" from
<>  or <>  or <> . David Ingram deals on a
daily basis with expatriate tax returns with:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate problems  for the
United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai,
Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, China, New Zealand, France,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia,
Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran,
India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba,
Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK,
GB, and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas,
San Antonio Houston
Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax and Immigration
Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard Antarctica Rwanda Guru  Consultant
Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6 Non-Resident Real Estate tax
specialist expert preparer expatriate anti money laundering money seasoning
FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106 TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions
Grand Cayman Aruba Zimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US


Trackback URL for this entry:

Here's what others have to say about 'Canadian citizenship after living':

Canada citizenship department immigration
[...] 3 year anniversary and. a member of CSIC to answer the Citizenship question for you.Canadian citizenship after living - CEN-TA Cross Border ServicesDepartment of immigration And Justice Immigration department Naturalization service [...] [read more]
Tracked on Sunday, January 23 2011 @ 01:27 AM PST