non-resident taxes for Canadian in South Korea -

Hello, I'm a registered non-resident Canadian living and  
working in South Korea. I've been a non-resident for 
about 8 years now and about 3 years ago I opened up an 
account at Canaccord Capital, Vancouver so I could build  
up a portfolio of mining stocks. Hypothetically, if I was to 
make a million dollars and cash out, my Canadian
> stockbroker said he could send the million dollars (minus
> his commissions of course) to me in Korea without taking
> any tax off. My broker said he could send the full amount
> but he couldn't answer any questions related to my tax
> liability in Canada. So my question is, 'do I have to pay
> taxes on profits made on Canadian stock exchanges as a
> Canadian non-resident living in South Korea. If I have to
> pay substantial taxes, is there anything I can legally do to
> reduce these taxes? Thank you.
> _________________________________________________________________________
 david ingram replies
Non-residents of Canada do NOT pay tax on profits in the trading of Publicly
 Traded shares on Canadian Stock Exchanges.
Non-residents of the US do NOT pay tax on profits in the trading of publicly traded shares on US stock exchanges UNLESS they are US citizens..
However, if you were to be participating in seed shares of a private corporation, the profits would be taxable.
David Ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604) 980-0325
Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week  Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax or phone outside of those hours as this is a home office)
email to
[email protected]
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent and appropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for expert help, assistance, preparation, or consultation
David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Saudi Arabia to Mexico to China or Chile - Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.


Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.