Immigration to Canada Questions -

Hi David,
I was doing some searching on the internet and saw your reply to a questions with this email address.
I was wondering if you can help me too.
My boyfriend (a Canadian Citizen) and I (a United States Citizen) are talking about getting engaged.  We want to have the wedding in the United States, but after marriage, I will be moving to Canada.  So, I was wondering where do I apply for a marriage certificate, is it in the US or in Canada?  And what would be the best way for me to become a Citizen of Canada?
Please Advise.
Thank you,
david ingram replies:
Marriage is a state or provincial regulation.  You would apply for your marriage licence in the stae or province where you want the marriage to take place.  Your newhusband will have to sponsor you to Canada and you will find the paperwork below.
After living here fore three years as a Permanent Resident, you can and should apply for Canadian citizenship.  There ae no disadvantages for you and you do NOT lose your US citizenship.
However, as a US citizen living in Canada, you will have to continue to file a US return every year.  GOTO and read the Oct 95 newsletter in teh top left box and the US/Canada Taxation section in the second box down on the right hand side.
This older question will help
QUESTION: I'm a Canadian citizen and just got married. My wife is a U.S. citizen. I would like to apply for my wife's permanent residence in Canada. I would appreciate if you can tell me the process and how long would it take.

Thanks in advance
david ingram replies:
You will have to decide on whether to apply form within or without Canada.
Within would have her in Canada sooner but she can not work unless she has a work visa.  If she has a university degree, she might qualify as a professional under Treaty NAFTA.
Basically to sponsor her, you need to fill in the following paper work.  At the moment, it is likely taking up to 22 months and is processed through Buffalo New York
You can start the process by going to:
This is a guide for sponsoring a US citizen spouse into Canada.
            Publication 3910E
This is the application form to sponsor - form IMM-1344A
This is the sponsorship agreement - Form IMM-1344B
This is the Sponsorship Evaluation Form IMM-5481
This is a statutory declaration of a common-law marriage - FORM IMM-5409
This is the Sponsor Questionnaire - Form IMM-5540 
This is an authority to release information - FORM IMM-5540
This is a document Checklist - Form IMM-5491
This is where you order your official receipt
This is your actual Application for Permanet Residence - FORM IMM-0008GEN
This is your Background Declaration - FORM IMM-008_1
This is your additional family information - FORM IMM-5406
This is your spouse or conjugal partner questionnaire -= FORM IMM-5490
14.    The Above PLUS a police report from your local police station (See the guide for details) applies to those being sponsored from the UNITED STATES. There is a separate brochure for every country.  If you are reading this and are from any other country (Australia, Brunei, Austria, Venezuela, etc) goto
14 for other country guides.
This is the self-assessment test for an individual to determine his or her eligibility to immigrate to Canada without being sponsored by a spouse.
I know this will help you make your decision.  If we can help you, remember, that is what we do for a living.  In particular you should goto and click on and read US/Canada taxation BEFORE you come.
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts"
Answers to this and other similar  questions can be obtained free on Air every Sunday morning.
Every Sunday at 9:00 AM on 600AM in Vancouver, Fred Snyder of Cartier Partners and I will be hosting an INFOMERCIAL but LIVE talk show called "ITS YOUR MONEY"
Those outside of the Lower Mainland will be able to listen on the internet at
Local phone calls to (604) 280-0600 - Long distance calls to 1-866-778-0600.
Old shows are archived at the site.
This from ask an income tax immigration planning and bankruptcy expert consultant guru or preparer  from or or Canadian David Ingram deals daily with tax returns dealing with expatriate:
multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriate gambling refunds for the United States, Canada Mexico Great Britain the United Kingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, South Africa,  Thailand, Indonesia, Egypt, Antarctica,  Japan, China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia, Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida, Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, American and Canadian and Mexican and any of the 43 states with state tax returns, etc.
income tax wizard wizzard guru advisor advisors experts  specialist specialists  consultants taxmen taxman tax woman planner planning 
preparer of Alaska,  Alabama,  Arkansas,  Arizona,
 California Denver  Colorado, Connecticut, 
Delaware District of Columbia Miami  Florida,
Garland Georgia,  Honolulu Hawaii,  Idaho,  Illinois,
 Indiana Des Moines Iowa  Kansas  Kentucky,
 Louisiana  Bangor Maine  Maryland  Boston, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, 
Mississippi,  Missouri,  Montana,  Nebraska, 
Nevada, New Hampshire,  New Jersey,
New Mexico,New York, North Carolina, 
North Dakota,  Ohio,  Oklahoma,  Oregon.
Paris,  Rome, Sydney, Australia Hilton
Pennsylvania,  Rhode Island,  Rockwall,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, 
Texas,  Utah, Vermont,  Virginia,
West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming,
British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec City,
New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island,
Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Yukon and
Northwest and Nunavit Territories, 
Mount Vernon, Eumenclaw, Coos Bay
and Dallas Houston Rockwall Garland
Texas  Taxman and Tax Guru  and wizzard
wizard -
 David Ingram's US/Canada Services
US/Canada/Mexico Tax Immigration & working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Calls accepted from 10 AM to 10 PM 7 days a week
Res (604) 980-3578 Cell (604) 657-8451
Bus (604) 980-0321
[email protected]
Disclaimer:  This question has been answered without detailed information or consultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothing in this message is or should be construed as advice in any particular circumstances. No contract exists between the reader & the author and any and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readers should obtain formal advice from a competent financial, or real estate planner or advisor & appropriately qualified legal practitioner, tax or immigration specialist in connection with personal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must be included."

 David Ingram gives expert income tax & immigration help to non-resident Americans & Canadians from New York to California to Saudi Arabia to Mexico to China or Chile - Cross border, dual citizen - out of country investments are all handled with competence & authority.




Trackback URL for this entry:

No trackback comments for this entry.