eMail Article To a Friend View Printable Version

Need Someone to Do US and Canadian Tax Returns I-131 permission to leave US and keep green card. -

Do you do this, or can you recommend anyone?Thanks,
eMail Article To a Friend View Printable Version

How the Market Works - Good Analogy


Once upon a time in a village, a man appeared and announced to the villagers that he would buy monkeys for $10 each.

The villagers seeing that there were many monkeys around, went out to the forest and started catching them. The man bought thousands at $10.00 and as supply started to diminish, the villagers stopped their effort. He further announced that he would now buy at $20.00. This renewed the efforts of the villagers and they started catching monkeys again.

Soon the supply diminished even further and people started going back to their farms. The offer increased to $25.00 each and the supply of monkeys became so little that it was an effort to even see a monkey, let alone catch one!

The man now announced that he would buy monkeys at $50.00 however, since he had to go to the city on some business, his assistant would now buy on his behalf.

In the absence of the man, the assistant told the villagers, "Look at all these monkeys in the big cage that the man has collected. I will sell them to you at $35.00 and when the man returns from the city, you can sell them to him for $50.00 each."

The villagers rounded up all their savings and bought all the monkeys. Then they never saw the man nor his assistant again; only monkeys everywhere!

Now you have a better understanding of how the stock market works.


No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version:7.5.518 / Virus Database: 269.21.6/1318 - Release Date: 07/03/2008 2:01
eMail Article To a Friend View Printable Version

Canadian with two principal residences while fixing up one and selling the other -

We intend to list our house (which we have had built and lived in as our principal residence since 2001) in the spring of next year (2009) and move to a condo (pre-construction contract for which we signed about 2 years ago) after we sell our house. However, we expect to close the condo earlier at around August 2008 and are planning to do some millwork, change paint, furnish, etc. that will take a few months. So, between around late summer of 2008 and spring/summer of 2009, we will effectively have two "principal residences". What should (and shouldn't) we do to avoid being liable for capital gains taxes on either of the properties? Many thanks for your guidance.
eMail Article To a Friend View Printable Version

Candian citizen, tax filing in USA 8891 - TDF90-22.1 - T1161 -

QUESTION:Hi, i am a xxxxxxxxxxxxx and a Canadian citizen. I will be starting as a student instructor in PA, USA from June. I will have a J1 visa and my son and daughter and husband will have J2 visas. Once in USA all our income will be from USA and we wont have any Canadian income.Though we have RRSP and RESP savings here.My question is Do we have to file tax in Canada or USA?I will appreciate your expert advice.
eMail Article To a Friend View Printable Version

Buying in Phoenix -

david ingram repliesBetween now and sometime, Phoenix Real Estate will be a greatinvestment again.  At the moment, I hear of more peple selling thanbuying.

As a contrairian, to me that means it is time to buy again.  The bigquestion is when. 

"The key to the discipline ofrebalancing is to sell into euphoria and buy into panic," Yusko said. "When everybody else wants to buyyou should be selling, and when everybody is selling you should want tobuy."
And so they did.

If you can tell me what day or even month you are going to die, I willtell you what to do with your money for the rest of your life.

If I had the cash flow to carry if it goes down a bit more and reallywanted a Phoenix Property, I would buy.  I do not like Phoenix so wouldnot buy there anyway because I do not like the heat.

I would go to some place like Mendocino, California or Coos Bay, Oregonbecause I like them and the quality of life.  Coos Bay is half theprice of Mendocino so economics feed in here as well.

My decision would be basd oupon where I want to be, the quality of thelife arounnd me and price and/or future growth would be an extra.

Selling in Phoenix because the price is going down is silly if you likethe place.  Buying there if you do not like it is also silly unless youare a pure speculator.

Hope this helps.

On February 11, 2008, DavidIngram wrote:

It is very unlikely that blind or unexpected email to me will beanswered.  I receive anywhere from 100 to 700  unsolicited emails a dayand usually answer anywhere from 2 to 20 if they are not from existingclients.  Existing clients are advised to put their 'name and PAYING CUSTOMER' in the subject lineand get answered first.  I also refuse to be a slave to email and donot look at it every day and have never ever looked at it when I am outof town. 
e bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian American Mexican Income Tax  service and help
However, I regularly search for the words"PAYINGCUSTOMER" and always answer them first if they did not get spammed out.For the last two weeks, I have just found out that my own email notesto myself have been spammed out and as an example, as I wrote this onDec 25, 2007 since June 16th, my 'spammed out' box has47,941 unread messages, my deleted box has 16645 I have actually lookedat and deleted and I have actually answered 1234 email questions forclients and strangers without sending a bill.  I have also put aside847 messages that I am maybe going to try and answer because they lookinteresting. -e bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian American Mexican Income Tax service and  help
Therefore, if an email is not answered in 24 to48 hours, it is likely lost in space. You can try and resend it but if important AND YOU TRULY WANT OR NEEDAN ANSWER from 'me', you will have to phone to make an appointment. Gillian Bryan generally accepts appointment requests for me between10:30 AM and 4:00 PM Monday to Friday VANCOUVER (Seattle, Portland, LosAngeles) time at (604) 980-0321.  david ingram expert US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  service and help.
david ingram's US / Canada Services
US / Canada / Mexico tax, Immigration and working Visa Specialists
US / Canada Real Estate Specialists
My Home office is at:
4466 Prospect Road
North Vancouver,  BC, CANADA, V7N 3L7
Cell (604) 657-8451 -
(604) 980-0321 Fax (604)980-0325

Calls welcomed from 10 AM to 9 PM 7 days a week Vancouver (LA) time -  (please do not fax orphone outside of those hours as this is a home office) expert  US Canada Canadian American Mexican Income Tax  service help.
Disclaimer: This question has been answered without detailed information orconsultation and is to be regarded only as general comment.   Nothingin this message is or should be construed as advice in any particularcircumstances. No contract exists between the reader and the author andany and all non-contractual duties are expressly denied. All readersshould obtain formal advice from a competent andappropriately qualified legal practitioner or tax specialist for experthelp, assistance, preparation, or consultation  in connection withpersonal or business affairs such as at If you forward this message, this disclaimer must beincluded." e bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian American Mexican Income Tax  service and help.
David Ingramgives expert income tax service & immigration help to non-residentAmericans & Canadians from New York to California to Mexico family, estate, income trust trusts Cross border, dual citizen - out ofcountry investments are all handled with competence & authority.
Phone consultationsare $450 for 15 minutes to 50 minutes (professional hour). Please notethat GST is added if product remains in Canada or is to be returned toCanada or a phone consultation is in Canada. ($472.50 with GST if inCanada) expert  US Canada Canadian American MexicanIncome Tax  service and help.
This is not intended to be definitivebut in general I am quoting $900 to $3,000 for a dual country taxreturn.
$900 would be one T4 slip one W2 slipone or two interest slips and you lived in one country only (but werefiling both countries) - no self employment or rentals or capital gains- you did not move into or out of the country in this year.
$1,200 would be the same with onerental
$1,300 would be the same with onebusiness no rental
$1,300 would be the minimum with amove in or out of the country. These are complicated because of theback and forth foreign tax credits. - The IRS says a foreign tax credittakes 1 hour and 53 minutes.
$1,600 would be the minimum with arental or two in the country you do not live in or a rental and abusiness and foreign tax credits  no move in or out

$1,700 would be for two people with income from two countries

$3,000 would be all of the above andyou moved in and out of the country.
This is just a guideline for US /Canadian returns
We will still prepare Canadian only(lives in Canada, no US connection period) with two or three slips andno capital gains, etc. for $200.00 up.
With a Rental for $400, two or threerentals for $550 to $700 (i.e. $150 per rental) First year Rental -plus $250.
A Business for $400 - Rental andbusiness likely $550 to $700
And an American only (lives in the USwith no Canadian income or filing period) with about the same things inthe same range with a little bit more if there is a state return.
Moving in or out of the country orpart year earnings in the US will ALWAYS be $900 and up.
TDF 90-22.1 forms are $50 for thefirst and $25.00 each after that when part of a tax return.
8891 forms are generally $50.00 to$100.00 each.
18 RRSPs would be $900.00 - (maybeamalgamate a couple)
Capital gains *sales)  are likely$50.00 for the first and $20.00 each after that.

Catch - up returns for the US where we use theCanadian return as a guide for seven years at a time will be from $150to$600.00 per year depending upon numbers of bank accounts, RRSP's,existence of rental houses, self employment, etc. Note that thesereturns tend to be informational rather than taxable.  In fact, ifthere are children involved, we usually get refunds of $1,000 per childper year for 3 years.  We have done several catch-ups where the clienthas recieved as much as $6,000 back for an $1,800 bill and one recentlywith 6 children is resulting in over $12,000 refund. 

This is aguideline not etched in stone.  If you doyour own TDF-90 forms, it is to your advantage. However, if we put themin the first year, the computer carries them forward beautifully.
This from "ask an income trusts tax service andimmigration expert" from or or David Ingram deals on a daily basis with expatriate taxreturns with multi jurisdictional cross and trans border expatriateproblems  for the United States, Canada, Mexico, Great Britain, UnitedKingdom, Kuwait, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan,China, New Zealand, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Georgia,Brazil, Peru, Ecuador, Bolivia, Scotland, Ireland, Hawaii, Florida,Montana, Morocco, Israel, Iraq, Iran, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan,Mali, Bangkok, Greenland, Iceland, Cuba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Barbados, StVincent, Grenada,, Virgin Islands, US, UK, GB, and any of the 43 stateswith state tax returns, etc. Rockwall, Dallas, San Antonio Houston,Denmark, Finland, Sweden Norway Bulgaria Croatia Income Tax andImmigration Tips, Income Tax  Immigration Wizard AntarcticaRwanda Guru  Consultant Specialist Section 216(4) 216(1) NR6 NR-6 NR 6Non-Resident Real Estate tax specialist expert preparer expatriate antimoney laundering money seasoning FINTRAC E677 E667 105 106TDF-90 Reporting $10,000 cross border transactions Grand Cayman ArubaZimbabwe South Africa Namibia help USA US Income Tax Convention. Adviceon bankruptcy  e bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian American Mexican Income Tax service and help .

David Ingram expert income tax service and immigration help andpreparation of US Canada Mexiconon-resident and cross border returns with rental dividend wagesself-employed and royalty foreign tax credits family estate trust trusts
income tax convention treaty advice on bankruptcy

New York, Boston, Sacramento,Minneapolis, Salem, Wheeling, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Atlanta,Pensacola, Miami, St Petersburg, Naples, Fort Myers, Cape Coral,Orlando, Atlanta, Arlington, Washington, Hudson, Green Bay, Minot,Portland, Seattle, St John, St John's, Fredericton, Quebec, Moncton,Truro, Atlanta, Charleston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Diego,Sacramento, Taos, Grand Canyon, Reno, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Sun City,Tulsa, Monteray, Carmel, Morgantown, Bemidji, Sandpointe, Pocatello,Bellingham, Custer, Grand Forks, Lead, Rapid City, Mitchell, KansasCity, Lawrence, Houston, Albany, Framingham, Cambridge, London, Paris,Prince George, Prince Rupert, Whitehorse, Anchorage, Fairbanks,Frankfurt, The Hague, Lisbon, Madrid, Atlanta, Myrtle Beach, Key West,Cape Coral, Fort Meyers,   Berlin, Hamburg,  Warsaw, Auckland,Wellington, Honolulu, Maui, Kuwait, Molokai, Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo,Manilla, Kent, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Red Deer, Olds, MedicineHat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Portage La Prairie, Davidson,Craik, Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey,Edinburgh, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Copenhagen, Oslo, Munich, Sydney,Nanaimo, Brisbane, Melbourne, Darwin, Perth, Athens, Rome, Berne,Zurich, Kyoto, Nanking, Rio De Janeiro, Brasilia, Colombo, BuenosAries, Squamish, Churchill, Lima, Santiago, Abbotsford, Cologne,Yorkshire, Hope, Penticton, Kelowna, Vernon, Fort MacLeod, Deer Lodge,Springfield, St Louis, Centralia, Bradford, Stratford on Avon, NiagaraFalls, Atlin, Fort Nelson, Fort St James, Red Deer, Drumheller,Fortune, Red Bank, Marystown, Cape Spears, Truro, Charlottetown,Summerside, Niagara Falls, income trust, Income Tax Treaty Convention. - e bankruptcyexpert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Tax  service andhelp.
davidingramInternational non-resident cross border expert income tax service &immigration help estate family trust assistance expert preparation& immigration consultant, income trusts experts on rentals mutualfunds RRSP RESP IRA 401(K) & divorce preparer preparersconsultants Income Tax Convention Treaty.  adviceon bankruptcy expert  US Canada Canadian American  Mexican Income Taxhelp.
Be ALERT,  the world needs more "lerts".   bankruptcy expert  US CanadaCanadian American  Mexican Income Tax service help.  -expert us Canada Canadian Mexico income taxservice and help  help

eMail Article To a Friend View Printable Version

moved to Florida and married American in June 2006 - international non-resident cross border income tax help estate family trust

QUESTION:HelloI am a 26 year old Canadian who has been residing in FL since June 2006. I married an American the following month.I have been umemployed since and am going to fill my Canadian taxes.Is it possible for someone in FL to file out my taxes for me...or do i have to travel back to Canada to do so.Thanks so muchI find your website very fasinating :)
eMail Article To a Friend View Printable Version

Cross-border business - BC Medical,

Subject: Cross-border businessExpert: [email protected]Date: Thursday March 06, 2008Time: 04:14 AM -0000QUESTION:I am a US citizen and newly-landed Canadian PermanentResident in British Columbia, but I am also a full-timeRV'er (i.e. I do not own property in either Canada OR theUS). I am starting up a business building websites for RVparks and corporate customers, but I'm not sure what Ineed to do in order to incorporate.I will (hopefully) be doing business in both Canada (BCand AB) and the US (western states - WA, OR, CA, etc). Asa full-time RV'er, I can declare any US state as my "home"and setup mail to maintain residency. Due to Nevada'slack of personal & corporate income tax, I thought thatwould be the best place to "move" so that I can minimize(1) the amount of tax being paid and (2) the number oftax returns I must file.Do I need to also register the business somehow in BC? Or should I skip the incorporation in the US and justproceed with whatever is needed in BC?I'm very confused and would greatly appreciate yourassistance (free or paid)!Thank you.
eMail Article To a Friend View Printable Version

Claim CCA (depreciation or capital cost allowance) on T3 estate or trust tax return -

QUESTION: A rented house owned by my granddaughter's trust is about to be sold; tax on half of the expected $350,000.00 capital gain will be less if I do not claim capital depreciation on the property. However without claiming Capital Deprecition the years net income will be greater and tax on this income will occur. Question- which is the course to choose that results in the least tax.
eMail Article To a Friend View Printable Version

sponcership of spouse to - International non-resident cross border expert income tax & immigration help estate family trust assi

my girl freind would like to sponcer me as she is having my child in 4 weeks im on a visitor licence till july 6th what type of sponcership should she apply for she currently recives E I i dont have any funds to pay for the fees right now but as soon as im allowed to work then i can earn right away at an agency they have garenteed me work if i can get a socail insurance number any advice on this ......please and thank you mr xxxx
eMail Article To a Friend View Printable Version

US / Canada Personal Income Tax Comparison -

Hello,My wife and I (both US citizens) are considering moving toVancouver. I'm a xxxxxxxx, telecommuting for a start-up company (Delaware company withits office in New York City). And I'm trying to start a new career as a screenwriter/cameraman/director.I'm trying to make a general comparison of the taxes we'dpay as residents of Seattle, or Portland, OR, or Vancouver. We believe Vancouver would be the best fit, but we'reconcerned about Canadian taxes.Current salary through the company is $62,500 (US). Other interest income from U.S. accounts totals about$23,000 per year (US).Can you give me a basic summary of what I might expectas U.S. versus Canadian (federal/provincial/city) taxes toexpect?Also, if the start-up is successful, it may mean a buy-outin two or more years. Through annual stock options, myportion could mean value of seven figures. Any obviousconsiderations in that regard.Great website! I'm subscribing to the newsletter, and haveno doubt where I'm coming for my tax help if we end upin Vancouver.Thanks very much,